On-Demand Resources for Instructors
For those teaching online this summer or fall, check out our blog posts to guide you in the course design and building process:
- Putting your Course Online in a Hurry
- Developing Online Assessment of Student Learning
- Turning a Syllabus into an Online Course on Brightspace
Also, don’t miss the CFT Online Course Design Institute that will equip you with the tools you need to design and teach great online courses.
Is there a guide you’d like to see, but it isn’t here? Let us know! We are always looking for ways to improve our documentation.
- How do I set my time zone?
- How do I locate my courses?
- How can I re-order my courses on the dashboard?
- How do I Edit the Navigation Bar (Navbar)?
- How do I view my course from the student view?
- How do I add NameCoach to my course?
- How do I add my photo and edit my profile?
- How can I add TAs or other users to my course?
- How can I make my course active, so it is visible to students?
- How do I email my entire class, or individual students?
- How do I create a homepage for my course?
- How do I create an image banner for my homepage?
- How do I change the theme colors for my course?
- How do I delete my homepage and make another tool the first page students see?
- How do I turn off course tools I do not need?
- How can I upload a profile photo to my Brightspace account?
- What is the e-Portfolio?
- Accessing Harvested Repository Material in the Learning Object Repository (LOR)
- Placing Harvested Repository Material in Content
- Copyright and Fair Use – Vanderbilt Libraries resource
- Copyright Policy for Vanderbilt’s Course Management Systems
- VIDEO GUIDE: Introduction to “Lessons View”
- What is the table of contents?
- How do I upload my syllabus?
- How do I move files around in my course?
- How do I insert stuff into my course?
- How do I create modules and add content to them?
- How do I make content unavailable to students?
- How do I import course materials from another course management system?
- How do I copy an entire Brightspace course to another?
- How can I copy pieces of content from one Brightspace Course to Another?
- How do I set Rules or Release Conditions to restrict content?
- VIDEO GUIDE: Introduction to the Assignment Tool
- How do I create an assignment with the Assignment Tool?
- Assignment Submission Type Overview
- How can I create an assignment from the content module area?
- How do I add feedback and evaluations to assignment submissions?
- How do I grade and evaluate a student who has not submitted an assignment?
- How do I associate an assignment with a grade item?
- How can I download assignments?
- How can I download assignments by group?
- How can I contact students who have not submitted an assignment?
- Using the Annotation Tool for grading
- How do I return grades and papers to students when I collected physical copies of the assignment?
TurnitIn – Mark-up grading and Plagiarism detection
- VIDEO GUIDE: Introduction to TurnitIn’s Quickmarks
- How do I enable TurnitIn on a new assignment?
- How do I enable TurnitIn on an existing assignment?
- An Overview of TurnitIn Feedback Studio
- How to use the similarity report tools in TurnitIn
- How to provide feedback using TurnitIn
- How to manually enter grades using TurnitIn
- How do I use a rubric in the TurnitIn Feedback Studio
- VIDEO GUIDE: Introduction for Quizzes
- 9 Step Quiz Overview
- FAQs for Brightspace Quizzes
- Create and add questions to your quiz
- How to Quickly Create a Quiz Placeholder?
- How do I associate my quiz to a Grade Item in my Gradebook?
- How do I Establish Restrictions Such As: Dates, Time limits, Password, and Respondus Lockdown Browser
- How do I Provide Special Access for Select Students?
- How do I Determine What the Student Sees Upon Completion of the Quiz?
- How do I export test / quiz grades to the grade book?
- How do I view specific quiz questions after the quiz is submitted?
- How do I use the question library?
- How do I use question pools to create isomorphic questions?
- How do I place an image in a quiz question?
Respondus – Lockdown Browser and Webcam Monitor
The Lockdown Browser is a tool to facilitate online test-taking in a more secure environment. The company that provides the tool offers webinars to train faculty in using the Lockdown Browser. You can find their schedule here.
- How do I Implement a Lock Down Browser (Respondus) During a Quiz?
- How do I add the Respondus Monitor to the Lock Down Browser
- VIDEO GUIDE: Introduction for Grades
- Step 1: How do I set up my gradebook?
- Step 2: How do I create grade categories and items?
- Example of a Weighted Gradebook
- Example of a Points Gradebook
- Where do my students see their grades?
- How do I grade work using Brightspace?
- How do I release final grades to students?
- How do I associate an assignment with a grade item?
- How do I exclude a grade category or item from the final grade calculation?
- How do I create a rubric?
- How do I enter all grades for a specific Grade Item?
- How do I import a custom grade scheme that I’ve created?
- How do I Export my Gradebook into Excel?
- How do I award extra credit? Extra credit, bonus items, and exceeding 100%
- How do I drop the lowest grade from a Grade Category?
- VIDEO GUIDE: Using Discussions for blogging and student interaction
- Understanding the Discussion tool
- How do I create groups in Brightspace?
- How do I let students self-enroll into groups?
- How do I create group discussion topics?
- How can I create private discussions for student journaling and one-on-one communication?
- An introduction to the Chat tool
- How do I setup the Chat tool?
An Introduction to Media on Brightspace – the Kaltura app
- What is Kaltura? – read first!
- How do I access Kaltura? What if I’m getting an error?
- Kaltura Quick Start Guide
Uploading video files to Kaltura
- Getting started with Kaltura
- How do I upload videos to Brightspace? (How to use Kaltura)
- How do I restrict access to videos I’ve uploaded?
Creating a Kaltura video for your course using Kaltura Capture
- How do I make a video with Kaltura Capture?
- How do I turn my lecture slides into a Kaltura Capture video?
- How do I make edits to my Kaltura video?
- How do I add captions to my Kaltura video?
- How do I edit captions in my Kaltura video?
Kaltura Video Quizzes
Sharing Kaltura Videos
- How can I share my Kaltura video with a specific person or with an entire class?
- How can I download videos I have stored in My Media?
Using YouTube videos in your course
Embed videos that you have stored in Vanderbilt Box
- VIDEO GUIDE: Upload a video to box, and embed it in Brightspace
- How can I add a video, file, or note from Vanderbilt Box into Content?
- VIDEO GUIDE: How to create a whiteboard demo video using Zoom and a tablet – a tutorial video by Owen faculty member Jesse Blocher
- Everything you need to know about Zoom – Vanderbilt Hustler article, March 2020
- Zoom Best Practices – VUIT resource
Creating a Zoom Meeting in your course for live remote class meetings
- How do I activate the Zoom tool in my course?
- Zoom Quick Start Guide
- An Overview of Zoom Meetings
- How do I create a Zoom Meeting?
- How do I host a Zoom Meeting?
- How do I create Breakout Rooms in Zoom?
- How do I create Zoom Polls?
- How can I record my Zoom Meeting?
- Changing your Zoom background
- How to I prevent and respond to Zoombombings?
Creating a Virtual Classroom in your course for live remote class meetings
- How do I activate the Virtual Classroom tool in my course?
- How do I create a Virtual Classroom session?
- How do I host a Virtual Classroom session?
- Hosting a Virtual Classroom – Quick Start Guide
- How do I access my recorded Virtual Classroom sessions?
Start here: Webpage Accessibility – An overview from Student Access Services
Accessibility in Brightspace
- How do I use the Accessibility Checker to make sure my content is accessible?
- Accessibility in Brightspace – A short introductory video by D2L
- D2L Resource Library – A collection of webinars, eBooks, and testimonials
Vanderbilt University resources on Accessibility
- Student Access Services at Vanderbilt University
- Accessibility and Remote Teaching – A CFT blogpost by Stacey Johnson, March 2020
- Accessible Teaching in the Time of COVID – A blogpost by Vanderbilt faculty member Aimi Hamraie
Archived Video Workshops