On-Demand Resources for Instructors
Will you be teaching remotely?
Click here and jump to our documentation about Zoom Meetings and other helpful tools.
Also be sure to check out the video “Tools for Remote Teaching and Learning” on the right site of this webpage!
On-demand resources are available for students and faculty in downloadable PDF quick reference sheets and in step-by-step videos. Is there a guide you’d like to see, but it isn’t here? Let us know! We are always looking for ways to improve our documentation.
- How do I set my time zone?
- How do I locate my courses?
- How can I re-order my courses on the dashboard?
- How do I Edit the Navigation Bar (Navbar)?
- How do I view my course from the student view?
- How do I add NameCoach to my course?
- How do I add my photo and edit my profile?
- How can I add TAs or other users to my course?
- How can I make my course active, so it is visible to students
- How do I email my entire class, or individual students?
- How do I build a course on Brightspace from scratch?
- How do I create a homepage for my course?
- How do I create an image banner for my homepage?
- How do I delete my homepage and make another tool the first page students see?
- How do I turn off course tools I do not need?
- How can I upload a profile photo to my Brightspace account?
- What is the e-Portfolio?
- Accessing Harvested Repository Material in the Learning Object Repository (LOR)
- Placing Harvested Repository Material in Content
- What is the table of contents?
- How do I upload my syllabus?
- How do I move files around in my course?
- How do I insert stuff into my course?
- How do I create modules and add content to them?
- How do I make content unavailable to students?
- How do I import course materials from another course management system?
- How do I copy an entire Brightspace course to another?
- How to move pieces of content from one Brightspace Course to Another?
- How do I set Rules or Release Conditions to restrict content?
- How do I create an assignment with the Assignment Tool?
- Assignment Submission Type Overview
- How can I create an assignment from the content module area?
- How do I add feedback and evaluations to assignment submissions?
- How do I grade and evaluate a student who has not submitted an assignment?
- How do I associate an assignment with a grade item?
- How can I download assignments?
- How can I download assignments by group?
- How can I contact students who have not submitted an assignment?
- Using the Annotation Tool for grading
- How do I return grades and papers to students when I collected physical copies of the assignment?
TurnitIn – Mark-up grading and Plagiarism detection
- How do I enable TurnitIn on a new assignment?
- How do I enable TurnitIn on an existing assignment?
- An Overview of TurnitIn Feedback Studio
- How to use the similarity report tools in TurnitIn
- How to provide feedback using TurnitIn
- How to manually enter grades using TurnitIn
- How do I use a rubric in the TurnitIn Feedback Studio
- 9 Step Quiz Overview
- Create and add questions to your quiz
- How to Quickly Create a Quiz Placeholder?
- How do I associate my quiz to a Grade Item in my Gradebook?
- How do I Establish Restrictions Such As: Dates, Time limits, Password, and Respondus Lockdown Browser
- How do I Provide Special Access for Select Students?
- How do I Determine What the Student Sees Upon Completion of the Quiz?
- How do I export test / quiz grades to the grade book?
- How do I view specific quiz questions after the quiz is submitted?
- How do I use the question library?
- How do I use question pools to create isomorphic questions?
- How do I place an image in a quiz question?
Respondus – Lockdown Browser and Webcam Monitor
The Lockdown Browser is a tool to facilitate online test-taking in a more secure environment. The company that provides the tool is doing daily webinars to train faculty in using the Lockdown Browser. You can find those trainings here.
- How do I Implement a Lock Down Browser (Respondus) During a Quiz?
- How do I add the Respondus Monitor to the Lock Down Browser
- Getting Started: How do I set up my gradebook?
- How do I create grade categories and items?
- Example of a Weighted Grade Book
- Where do my students see their grades, and how can I change settings?
- How do I grade work using Brightspace?
- How do I release final grades to students?
- How do I associate an assignment with a grade item?
- How do I exclude a grade category or item from the final grade calculation?
- How do I create a rubric?
- How do I enter all grades for a specific Grade Item?
- How do I import a custom grade scheme that I’ve created?
- How do I Export my Gradebook into Excel?
- Understanding the Discussion tool
- How do I create groups in Brightspace?
- How do I let students self-enroll into groups?
- How do I create group discussion topics?
- How can I create private discussions for student journaling and one-on-one communication?
- An introduction to the Chat tool
- How do I setup the Chat tool?
An Introduction to Media on Brightspace – the Kaltura app
- What is Kaltura? – read first!
- How do I access Kaltura? What if I’m getting an error?
- Kaltura Quick Start Guide
Uploading video files to Kaltura
- Getting started with Kaltura
- How do I upload videos to Brightspace? (How to use Kaltura)
- How do I restrict access to videos I’ve uploaded?
Creating a Kaltura video for your course using Kaltura Capture
- How do I make a video with Kaltura Capture?
- How do I turn my lecture slides into a Kaltura Capture video?
- How do I make edits to my Kaltura video?
- How do I add captions to my Kaltura video?
- How do I edit captions in my Kaltura video?
Sharing Kaltura Videos
Using YouTube videos in your course
Embed videos that you have stored in Vanderbilt Box
How to create a whiteboard demo video using Zoom and a tablet – a tutorial video by Owen faculty member Jesse Blocher
Everything you need to know about Zoom – Vanderbilt Hustler article, March 2020
Creating a Zoom Meeting in your course for live remote class meetings
- How do I activate the Zoom tool in my course?
- Hosting a Zoom Meeting – Zoom Quick Start Guide
- An Overview of Zoom Meetings
- How do I create a Zoom Meeting?
- How do I host a Zoom Meeting?
- How do I create Breakout Rooms in Zoom?
- How can I record my Zoom Meeting?
- Changing your Zoom background
- How to I prevent and respond to Zoombombings?
Creating a Virtual Classroom in your course for live remote class meetings
- How do I activate the Virtual Classroom tool in my course?
- How do I create a Virtual Classroom session?
- How do I host a Virtual Classroom session?
- Hosting a Virtual Classroom – Quick Start Guide
- How do I access my recorded Virtual Classroom sessions?
Archived Video Workshops