How do I create a rubric?
There are two types of rubrics available for use:
1) Holistic Rubrics – Single criterion rubrics (one-dimensional) used to assess participants’ overall achievement on an activity or item based on predefined achievement levels. Holistic rubrics may use a percentages or text only scoring method.
2) Analytic Rubrics – Two-dimensional rubrics with levels of achievement as columns and assessment criteria as rows. Allows you to assess participants’ achievements based on multiple criteria using a single rubric. You can assign different weights (value) to different criteria and include an overall achievement by totaling the criteria. With analytic rubrics, levels of achievement display in columns and your assessment criteria display in rows. Analytic rubrics may use a points, custom points, or text only scoring method. Points and custom points analytic rubrics may use both text and points to assess performance; with custom points, each criterion may be worth a different number of points. For both points and custom points an overall score is provided based on the total number of points achieved. The overall score determines whether the activity is achieved.
For a printable & shareable PDF version of this resource, click here.
1) On the navbar, click Course Admin > go to Assessment category > click Rubrics.
2) On the Rubrics page, click New Rubric.
3) In the General area, enter your rubric details.
4) To associate your rubric with Competencies or Brightspace ePortfolio, in the Advanced Availability section, select the Competencies or Brightspace ePortfolio check boxes.
5) Click Save then do one of the following:
- If you created an analytic rubric, in the Levels and Criteria tab, edit your criteria and levels.
- If you created a holistic rubric, in the Levels tab, edit your levels.