Getting Started with Kaltura
This guide will teach you how to use My Media and Media Gallery tools, and how to use the “Insert Stuff” tool to make your media available to students.
Initially, you will upload videos into your “My Media” tab. Then you can make them available to specific classes in that course’s “Media Gallery”. If you want more control over when a video is available to your students, you can add videos to a Content area or use the “Insert Stuff” tool to put it in any text box.
How to use My Media
My Media is located on the navbar of the Brightspace homepage. It can always be easily accessed by clicking the Vanderbilt logo or Home icon at the top of any Brightspace page. My Media is a repository for all of your videos, which can then be distributed to any of your courses.
1.) Click on the My Media tab. When accessing “My Media” for the first time, Brightspace will ask your permission to use Kaltura. Select the checkbox and then click Continue.
2) To begin adding media, click Add New
The options are:
- Media Upload – This allows a user to upload media from their local computer. Media that can be uploaded includes video, audio, and image files.
- Webcam Recording – This allows a user to record their webcam.
- Kaltura Capture – This allows a user to record their screen and add audio narration.
- Video Quiz – This allows users to embed questions within their videos. These questions are newly able to connect to the gradebook!
3) After adding media from one the above choices, a list of your available media will be presented.
4) From this page you can sort, search, view, edit, and delete media.
Editing media allows for changing the file name, adding collaborators, editing thumbnails, trimming video, making a copy of videos, downloading media, and adding captions.
How to use the Media Gallery
1) The Media Gallery is accessed from the navbar within each course.
2) The Media Gallery contains any media that has been published to the Media Gallery and is viewable to all users in the course. To begin publishing media, click Add Media.
3) All media that has been added to your “My Media” is now available for selecting and publishing. Select the desired media, then click Publish.
4) The media has now been published to the Media Gallery for all course users to view.
How to add media to a Content Area
1) First choose a module to put the video in. Here is a guide to walk you through the process of creating a module if you do not already have one.
2) Click the Existing Activities button inside the module. Then select Add Kaltura Media.
3) Click on the desired media from the list. You will now have a link to that video in your module for students to click on. If you click on the link, you can edit the name of the video, add a description, add a due date, and see a completion summary just as with any other item in your Content area.
How to use “Insert Stuff” to link your media
1) Insert Stuff allows users to insert files, media, etc. into the course, including media from My Media.
2) When presented with the text box editor in a course, click the Insert Stuff icon.
3) Select My Media from the left menu.
4) Select the desired media, then click next.
5) Click Insert.
6) Click Update.