Spotlight on Inclusive Teaching
Learn about how Vanderbilt’s Student Access Services can assist students on campus and in the classroom
This is a collection of guides that focus on tools available to you in Brightspace that are especially focused on inclusive teaching.
- Webpage Accessibility – Familiarize yourself with ways to make your Brightspace course web accessible, from Vanderbilt’s Student Access Services
- D2L Resource Library – A collection of webinars, eBooks, and testimonials from D2L
Created Spring 2022
Instructional Guides for Inclusive Teaching in Brightspace
- How do I use the Accessibility Checker to make sure my content is accessible? Learn how to check your color contrast (colored text on colored background), and image tagging by using the Accessibility Checker
- How do I provide extra quiz time to a student with accommodations? Add extra minutes to a specific students’ quiz time allotment
- How do I share my pronouns with people in my classes? Brightspace allows users to add pronouns to their Brightspace profile. Learn how with this guide.
- How do I add NameCoach to my course? NameCoach is a tool that allows students to share the pronunciation of their name in Brightspace.
- How do I give select students a different due date (special access)? Learn how to give a specific student a different due date on an assignment or quiz.
- How do I Provide Special Access for Select Students? Special access allows many different types of accommodations for quizzes and assignments. Learn more here
- How do I add and edit captions in a Kaltura video? Learn how to auto-caption and edit captions on the videos uploaded to your Kaltura Media Gallery or My Media
- How do I enable Live Transcriptions for my Zoom meeting? If needed, Zoom meetings can provide live transcriptions. This guide explains how to set that up
More about Accessibility
- Accessibility in Brightspace (1:24) – A short introductory video by D2L
- Webpage Accessibility – An overview from Vanderbilt University’s Student Access Services
Vanderbilt University resources on Accessibility
- Student Access Services at Vanderbilt University
- Accessibility and Remote Teaching – A CFT blogpost by Stacey Johnson, March 2020
- Accessible Teaching in the Time of COVID – A blogpost by Vanderbilt faculty member Aimi Hamraie
Accessibility in Brightspace
- How do I use the Accessibility Checker to make sure my content is accessible?
- D2L Resource Library – A collection of webinars, eBooks, and testimonials
- How do I provide extra quiz time to a student with accommodations?