Integrated Edu Tools in Brightspace
Vanderbilt’s Brightspace platform offers many different tools for education integrated within it. This page will be updated as new tools become available, so check back often for information and resources as they go live.
We’ve also included some tools which are not integrated with Brightspace, but you may find useful in your courses. Inquiries regarding new integrations should be directed to the Brightspace team at email@example.com.
$ – Designates a tool with associated costs
♦ – Designates a tool which is already integrated into Vanderbilt’s Brightspace platform
Digital Social Reading Tools
Digital Social Reading is the process of allowing books to become a collaborative space by letting students comment and hold discussion in the digital margins. This can be a great way to get students more involved in course readings.
- eComma ♦ – a free, open source tool for Digital Social Reading. This tool is best suited for shorter texts.
- Hypothes.is – an annotation tool which operates most effectively with online resources like news articles and online PDFs.
- Perusall ♦ – a tool for digital social reading which caters both to short and longer texts. Perusall can be used for free with your own materials, or it can be used with entire books. Students only pay the price of the digital book if you want to utilize this feature.
- Check out our Perusall Setup Guide to begin using this tool in your course as well as our guide on linking Perusall assignments to the Brightspace gradebook
Video Annotation Tools
Video annotation tools can be helpful for getting students involved in your digital media by prompting them to participate in discussion as they watch. While we do not yet have any of these tools integrated into our Brightspace platform, we encourage you to explore each tool and determine how it may be best used in your courses.
- VideoAnt – a tool used in conjunction with YouTube videos to allow student annotation. This tool is free and very simple for students to use.
- GoReact ♦ newly integrated! – an elaborate video annotation tool with options for standard annotation as well as live video feedback for videos you already have in your possession. This tool also offers peer review options, time limits, and a testing mode in which students can only record their response once.
- Reclipped – a video annotation browser extension which works with YouTube, Vimeo, KhanAcademy, and several other platforms. This tool utilizes a sidebar within the browser and aggregates a user’s annotations on their profile, allowing them to collaborate on all of their work.
Interactive Quizzing Tools
Interactive Quizzing includes everything from videos with integrated quizzes to quizzing tools for immediate feedback from students in the classroom.
- EdPuzzle – allows instructors to create video lessons with integrated quizzes for students using videos from Youtube, Kahn Academy, and other resources. Free and premium versions are available.
- Kaltura Quizzes ♦ – helps instructors create video lessons with integrated quizzes utilizing videos they’ve uploaded into their Brightspace Media Gallery. Your Kaltura Quizzes can now be automatically scored in the gradebook!
- TopHat ♦ – utilizes student devices to allow them to provide real time evidence of understanding and feedback.
Assignment and Grading Tools
- Gradescope ♦ newly integrated! – a tool that facilitates the online submission and grading of exams and assignments. The system provides a number of features that aid in the grading of handwritten or typed student work, which can be submitted as a PDF or captured by a student’s phone camera.
- Check out our Gradescope Setup Guide to begin using this tool in your course
Peer Evaluation Tools
- Peerceptiv ♦ $ – an assessment tool allowing students to offer feedback to their peers and evaluate the feedback they’ve received.
- Kaltura ♦ – a video repository which allows students and instructors to upload media into Brightspace for use anywhere the ‘Insert Stuff’ function is available.
Academic Integrity Tools
- Respondus Lockdown Browser ♦ – a browser specifically designed for use during online quizzes which prevents students from accessing outside resources on their computers.
- Proctorio ♦ newly integrated!– a remote proctoring service that integrates with Brightspace and allows instructors to put into place a number of measures that help ensure test and exam integrity. This tool works via a Google Chrome extension.
- Check out our Proctorio Setup Guide to begin using this tool!
- Turnitin ♦ – a tool for plagiarism detection which integrates directly into Brightspace assignments. This tool can also be used on an as needed basis by contacting the Brightspace team for access.
Video Conferencing Tools
- Zoom ♦ – a video conferencing tool which works both inside and outside Brightspace to facilitate synchronous online learning and communication.
- Virtual Classroom ♦ – a tool integrated with Brightspace which creates a virtual classroom space for remote learning.
- MyLab and Mastering ♦ $ – a textbook integration from Pearson which students can use with an access code.
- Check out our guide on Adding the MyLab and Mastering Widget to your Course Homepage
- McGraw Hill Connect ♦ $ – a textbook integration from McGraw Hill which students can use with an access code.
- WileyPlus ♦ $ – a textbook integration from Wiley which students can use with an access code.