Undergraduate Summer Research Program
The Vanderbilt Data Science Institute Summer Research Program (DSI – SRP) provides Vanderbilt undergraduate students with the opportunity to engage in 10 weeks (Monday, June 1 – Friday, August 7, 2020) of full-time data science focused research in collaboration with any full-time Vanderbilt faculty member during the summer. The goal of DSI – SRP is to encourage and enhance student-faculty mentoring and joint research efforts in data science.
DSI – SRP fellows will come from a diverse range of backgrounds and domains.
Proposed research is welcome from:
- Foundational data science, the development, evolution, or implementation of data science methods.
- Application of data science to one or more fields in the physical, life, or social sciences, engineering, arts, or humanities.
- The study of the impact of data on society and its institutions.
- The main component of the program is the scholarly work done by the Vanderbilt undergraduate student (DSI – SRP fellow) in collaboration with any full-time Vanderbilt faculty member.
- The DSI – SRP involves full-time work. Participants cannot enroll in summer session courses.
- Each DSI – SRP fellow will attend summer events hosted by the DSI.
- The program lasts ten weeks, June 3-August 9, 2019.
- A $6,000 stipend will be provided for each student.
- Vanderbilt faculty may sponsor only two applications for the 2020 competition.
- Students who accept DSI – SRP stipends are required to attend summer events hosted by the DSI.
- Students who accept DSI – SRP stipends are required to present their research at the Vanderbilt Undergraduate Research Fair in the fall 2020 semester.
- Applications will be available in January.
- Participation in Immersion Vanderbilt is a graduation requirement for first-year students entering in summer and fall 2018 and beyond. If you are interested in satisfying your Immersion requirement, checkout the Research Immersion in Scientific Computing page.
- Current Vanderbilt sophomores or juniors enrolled in undergraduate degree programs are eligible.
- Full consideration will be given to students who have at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Applicants must be able to engage in 10 weeks of full time research during the summer. The official dates of the program generally coincide with Vanderbilt’s full summer session. Shifting the dates of participation in the program from the official ones is permitted, as long as the Fellow is engaged in 10 weeks of full-time research over the course of the summer (starting the program a bit early, or ending it a bit late is permitted). If this is not possible and the Fellow’s participation would not involve significant deviations (more than 2 weeks absence during the regular 10 week period) from the program dates this should be stated and discussed in the body of the application. The DSI – SRP involves full-time work.
- Participants cannot enroll in summer session courses.
- Research within the DSI – SRP is not restricted to work within a student’s major area of study. Projects from students with faculty mentors in different departments and schools are supported and encouraged.
- Faculty members may endorse only TWO applications for the 2020 competition.
Applicants will be asked to provide the following (stated word limits apply):
- A summary of the proposed summer research (150 words)
- Specific questions to be addressed during the summer (200 words)
- Description of how this proposed research connects with data science (250 words)
- Description of how participation in DSI – SRP fits with your short-term and long-term goals (200 words)
- An unofficial transcript
- Faculty sponsor information and acknowledgements (faculty member can only endorse two applications in the competition)