Undergraduate Summer Research Program
Application deadline: Friday, February 4, 2022.
Applications can be found the the InfoReady System. Please direct any questions to: email@example.com
The Vanderbilt Data Science Institute Summer Research Program (DSI – SRP) provides Vanderbilt undergraduate students with the opportunity to engage in 10 weeks (Monday, June 6 – Friday, August 12, 2022) of full-time data science focused research in collaboration with any full-time Vanderbilt faculty member during the summer. The goal of DSI – SRP is to encourage and enhance student-faculty mentoring and joint research efforts in data science.
DSI – SRP fellows will come from a diverse range of backgrounds and domains.
Proposed research is welcome from:
- Foundational data science, the development, evolution, or implementation of data science methods.
- Application of data science to one or more fields in the physical, life, or social sciences, engineering, arts, or humanities.
- The study of the impact of data on society and its institutions.
The Data Science Institute partners with other campus initiatives to offer co-sponsored fellowships. All fellowship recipients, regardless of their source of funding, will participate in all DSI-SRP related activities over the summer.
- Vanderbilt Brain Institute
- The Frist Center for Autism and Innovation
- Vanderbilt Evolutionary Studies Initiative
- The main component of the program is the scholarly work done by the Vanderbilt undergraduate student (DSI – SRP fellow) in collaboration with any full-time Vanderbilt faculty member.
- The DSI – SRP involves full-time work. Participants cannot enroll in summer session courses.
- Each DSI – SRP fellow will attend summer events hosted by the DSI.
- The program lasts ten weeks, June 6-August 12, 2022.
- A $6,000 stipend will be provided for each student.
- Vanderbilt faculty may sponsor only two applications for the 2022 competition.
- Students who accept DSI – SRP stipends are required to attend summer events hosted by the DSI.
- Students who accept DSI – SRP stipends are required to present their research at the Vanderbilt Undergraduate Research Fair in the fall 2022 semester.
- Applications will be available in late November.
- Current Vanderbilt sophomores or juniors enrolled in undergraduate degree programs are eligible.
- Full consideration will be given to students who have at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Applicants must be able to engage in 10 weeks of full time research during the summer (June 6 – August 12). The DSI – SRP involves full-time work.
- Participants cannot enroll in summer session courses.
- Research within the DSI – SRP is not restricted to work within a student’s major area of study. Projects from students with faculty mentors in different departments and schools are supported and encouraged.
- Students should have completed any coursework required for the research project prior to beginning the summer fellowship.
- Faculty members may endorse only TWO applications for the 2022 competition.
Applicants will be asked to provide the following (stated word limits apply):
- A summary of the proposed summer research (150 words)
- Specific questions to be addressed during the summer (200 words)
- Description of how this proposed research connects with data science (250 words)
- Description of how participation in DSI – SRP fits with your short-term and long-term goals (200 words)
- Description of how this proposed research relates to a sponsored fellowship *if relevant* (150 words)
- An unofficial transcript
- Faculty sponsor information and acknowledgements (faculty member can only endorse two applications in the competition)
2022 Information Session
Questions? Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org