MS in Data Science Program Overview
This is a fully in person master’s program. Classes are held Monday-Thursdays between the hours of 8:00am-5:00pm.
Data science is an interdisciplinary field focused on extracting knowledge and enabling discovery from complex data. It represents a fusion of principles from Statistics and Computer Science that are applied in domain-specific contexts. As such, critical thinking, communication, and domain-specific knowledge are essential skills. In fact, data science skills are now one of the most sought-after skill sets for graduates in a wide variety of quantitative, computational, and scientific disciplines.
The goal of the Data Science M.S. degree is to yield
well-rounded data scientists who can:
- Design computational pipelines for high-dimensional and large-scale complex data
- Acquire and manage massive datasets.
- Produce effective displays and visualizations of data.
- Build and interpret statistical models for large-scale data.
- Implement machine learning algorithms to make predictions and optimize decisions.
- Understand the advantages and limitations of competing models.
- Effectively communicate the results to experts and non-experts.
- Work in reproducible and open-source environments.
- Recognize the ethical, policy and privacy implications of data science research.