Skip to main content

Dependent Insurance

Spouses, domestic partners, and children of F and J visa holders should enroll in insurance and maintain coverage the entire time they are in the United States.  J-2 insurance should meet the minimum requirements set by the Department of State.

Insurance Options for F-2’s and J-2’s

Vanderbilt University cannot recommend, or endorse any specific health insurance company or policy. Some possible options are listed below as a general resource:

AHP (insurance provider for all Vanderbilt students):

  • Enrolled Vanderbilt students can choose to add dependents to their health insurance by completing the enrollment form on the AHP website. Please note there is an enrollment deadline. More information can be found here.

PSI International Health Insurance

Harbour Group Insurance

ISO Insurance

Medical Evacuation and Repatriation

Some insurance plans meet most of the immigration requirements but do not provide coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains. If your preferred insurance does not include these two types of coverage, you must purchase an additional policy.  Two options are listed below.

Global Travel Plus Plan

AHP Healthcare also manages medical evacuation and repatriation of remains. For more information, click here.

Insurance Options for Children Born in the U.S.

Children born in the United States will be U.S. citizens, and therefore not eligible for the plans listed above. If you need to find health insurance for your child who is a U.S. citizen, you can search online for individual health insurance or use the Health Insurance Marketplace.

The Tennessee Health Insurance Marketplace will allow you to search for an insurance plan and also help determine if your child is eligible for low-cost coverage through TennCare.