Student Health Insurance Overview
Welcome – Please Read
- This website provides information about Vanderbilt’s Student Health Insurance Plan, commonly referred to as SHIP. We encourage you to review the contents of this site to become well informed about your coverage under SHIP. If you have questions, visit the Contact Information section to be connected with support resources.
- Vanderbilt’s student health insurance plan administrator is Academic HealthPlans (AHP). To view information about your plan, visit vanderbilt.myahpcare.com.
- Vanderbilt’s Student Health Center (SHC) is the primary care provider (PCP) under SHIP for all undergraduate and graduate & professional students. As your PCP, the Student Health Center also maintains online information about SHIP.
- Referral Requirements: Care outside of the Student Health Center requires an annual referral. If you do not get a referral, covered benefits will be considered at the out-of-network coverage cost sharing. Learn more about referral requirements.
- Aetna offers a Well-being portal with tools and resources to help support you holistically.
Benefits & Premium Rates Enroll Waive Health Insurance Glossary Post-Graduation Insurance Options Contact
- Aetna will replace UnitedHealthcare as the carrier for SHIP, effective August 12, 2021. Read the announcement about this transition.
- Academic HealthPlans (AHP) will replace Gallagher Student Health as the plan administrator for SHIP, effective August 12, 2021. Read the Dean of Students' communication about the transition.
- Some students seek medical services off-campus. If you have financial concerns about seeing a provider off-campus, call 615-343-WELL to speak with a Student Care Coordinator at Student Care Coordination.
2022-23 PLAN YEAR
- Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) annual coverage is effective from August 12, 2022 through August 11, 2023.
DEPENDENT ENROLLMENT DEADLINES
- Students enrolled in SHIP may enroll dependents for annual coverage by logging in to their account at vanderbilt.myahpcare.com.
|Dependent Open Enrollment Period||Effective Date||Student Description|
|6/15/22-9/12/22||August 12, 2022||Newly enrolled and returning annual students|
|12/1/21-2/1/23||January 1, 2023||Newly enrolled spring students|
|4/18/22-6/1/22||May 1, 2022||Newly enrolled summer students|
CLICK HERE TO VIEW WAIVER POLICIES AND DEADLINES.
Instructions on obtaining your digital insurance ID card can be found here.
All Vanderbilt University students have the option to purchase voluntary dental or vision coverage. These plans are not administered by AHP. Students may also enroll their dependents, but note that SHIP provides dental coverage for dependents under the age of 19.