Student Health Insurance Overview
Welcome – Please Read
- This website provides information about Vanderbilt’s Student Health Insurance Plan, commonly referred to as SHIP. We encourage you to review the contents of this site to become well informed about your coverage under SHIP. If you have questions, visit the Contact Information section to be connected with support resources.
- Vanderbilt’s student health insurance broker is Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk. As the broker, they maintain a helpful website at www.gallagherstudent.com/vanderbilt to help you submit forms, view your insurance ID card, look up providers, and learn about your insurance coverage and benefits.
- Vanderbilt’s Student Health Center (SHC) is the primary care provider (PCP) under SHIP for all undergraduate and graduate & professional students. As your PCP, the Student Health Center also maintains online information about SHIP, including how to seek referrals.
- The Summer 2021 Waiver Form will be available on April 19, 2021. The submission deadline is August 1, 2021. Students can access the waiver from through their Gallagher Student Account.
- 1095-B Tax Forms: Students can request copies of their 1095-B tax forms through the “My Account” feature on UHCSR’s website. Click “Create Account” if you have not done so already. You will be asked for your VU email address, student ID number, or SR ID located on your insurance ID card.
- Given that students may be studying remotely in Fall 2020 due to COVID-19, the waiver process has been amended for the 2020-2021 academic year. These waiver policies are effective only for the current academic year. International students studying abroad in Fall 2020 who initially waived the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) must enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan if they enter the United States at any point during the 2020-2021 academic year or Summer 2021. Specifically, you will be required to email firstname.lastname@example.org two weeks in advance of your arrival date to the United States and provide your date of entry to the country so that we may enroll you in coverage. Your Student Health Insurance Plan coverage will be effective retroactive to the first day of the month that you arrive in the United States, and your premium will be prorated to reflect your active coverage period. You will be required to pay for your premium through your Student Account on YES.
- Some students seek medical services off-campus. If you have financial concerns about seeing a provider off-campus, call 615-343-WELL to speak with a Student Care Coordinator at the Office of Student Care Coordination.
COVID-19 SHIP Coverage
The Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) currently provides access to the following COVID-19 services:
- Testing. The Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) currently provides access to COVID-19 testing free of charge as long as the test is ordered by a licensed medical provider and FDA authorized. Free access to testing is currently being offered through April 20, 2021.
- Treatment. Beginning February 1, 2021, deductibles and copays will apply for students seeking COVID-19 treatment from in-network and out-of-network providers. If a student would like assistance finding an in-network provider who accepts the student health insurance plan, they may reach out to SHIP@vanderbilt.edu.
- Vaccinations. During the national public health emergency period, FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccines are available at no charge to you, no matter where you get it.
Important Dates and Deadlines
2020-21 Plan Year
- Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) coverage is effective from August 12, 2020 through August 11, 2021.
Dependent Enrollment DeadlineS
- Students enrolled in SHIP may enroll dependents for annual coverage by logging in to their account at www.gallagherstudent.com/vanderbilt.
|Enrollment Deadline||Effective Date||Student Description|
|September 12, 2020||August 12, 2020||Newly enrolled and returning annual students|
|February 1, 2021||January 1, 2021||Newly enrolled spring students|
|June 1, 2021||May 1, 2021||MayMester students|
|July 1, 2021||June 1, 2021||Newly enrolled summer students|
Request to Terminate Deadline
- Graduate and Professional students, including international students, graduating in December 2020 may request to terminate SHIP effective 12/31/20 by submitting a Request to Terminate Form. Forms will be accepted beginning on January 4, 2021 through January 15, 2021. If your form is approved, the SHIP premium charges will be removed from your account after the January 15th submission deadline. The Request to Terminate Form will become available on this website in December 2020.
Spring DISENROLLMENT DEADLINE
- Domestic students (undergraduate, graduate, and professional) may request to disenroll from the Student Health Insurance Plan if they obtain comparable coverage during the course of the Fall 2020 semester by submitting a Disenrollment Form by January 31, 2021. This form will become available at www.gallagherstudent.com/vanderbilt during the Fall 2020 semester.
How to Print SHIP ID Cards
ID cards are usually available 5-7 business days after your eligibility is confirmed.
- Go to www.gallagherstudent.com/vanderbilt
- Click ‘Get an ID Card’
SHIP Communications Timeline
|Late April||Email sent from Gallagher to summer students to notify that waiver form is available|
|Early May||Email sent from Gallagher to all domestic students that waiver form is available|
|Early May||Email from Student Accounts to all Undergraduate and Graduate students with information about health insurance requirement|
|Early June||Email from Gallagher to domestic students who waived in the summer to remind them to submit their annual waiver, if not yet submitted|
|Mid-June||Email from Student Accounts to all Undergraduate and Graduate students as a reminder about health insurance requirement|
|Mid-July||Email from Student Accounts to all Undergraduate and Graduate students as a reminder about health insurance requirement|
|Early August||E-Bill sent from Student Accounts to all students, with reminder to waive health insurance, if applicable|
|Early August||Email sent from Gallagher to all students as a reminder to reenroll dependents|
|Early August||Email sent from Gallagher to all students as a welcome to the SHIP plan with information on how to obtain an ID card and how to waive|
|Early September||Email sent from Gallagher to domestic students with reminder about denied waivers and instructions on how to submit Petition to Waive form by September 27|
|Late September||Email sent from Gallagher to domestic students as a reminder to submit Petition to Waive documentation by October 11|
|Early December||Email sent from Gallagher to all domestic students that waiver form is available|
|Early December||E-Bill sent from Student Accounts to all students|
|Early January||Email sent from Gallagher to domestic students new to SHIP in Spring with reminder about denied waivers and instructions on how to submit Petition to Waive form by February 14|
|Mid-January||Email sent from Gallagher to all students new to SHIP in Spring as a welcome to the SHIP plan with information on how to obtain an ID card and waive|
|Mid-February||Email sent from Gallagher to domestic students as a reminder to submit Petition to Waive documentation by February 28|