Student Health Insurance Overview
Welcome – Please Read
- This website provides information about Vanderbilt’s Student Health Insurance Plan, commonly referred to as SHIP. We encourage you to review the contents of this site to become well informed about your coverage under SHIP. If you have questions, visit the Contact Information section to be connected with support resources.
- It’s important to know that Vanderbilt’s student health insurance broker is Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk. As the broker, they also maintain a helpful website to help you submit forms, look up providers, and learn about your insurance coverage.
- Vanderbilt’s Student Health Center (SHC) is the primary care provider (PCP) under SHIP for all undergraduate and graduate & professional students. As your PCP, the Student Health Center also maintains online information about SHIP, including how to seek referrals.
- Continuing for the 2019-20 academic year, Vanderbilt has made the University’s Student Health Insurance Plan mandatory for international students. If you are a returning international student, you will no longer be allowed to submit a waiver form. This change in process is designed to better protect you from undue financial burden due to illness while you are a student at Vanderbilt, ensure that our international students are compliant with and have insurance coverage that meets federal regulations for their visa status, and to facilitate access to worldwide coverage – regardless of whether you are in Nashville or travelling home or abroad.
- Some students seek medical services off-campus. If you have financial concerns about seeing a provider off-campus, call 615-343-WELL to speak with a Student Care Coordinator at the Office of Student Care Coordination.
- Your 1095-B forms are available online! Please login to www.gallagherstudent.com and click MyAccount to access your 1095-B form.
Important Dates and Deadlines
2019-20 Plan Year
- The 2019-20 SHIP plan year is August 12, 2019 through August 11, 2020.
- Students arriving to campus during summer prior to August 12th can obtain insurance coverage by submitting an Early Arrival Student Enrollment Form along with an additional premium.
- Domestic students must submit the online waiver form by August 1, 2019 in order to waive SHIP for summer 2019 and the 2019-20 academic year. If you are waiving coverage for both summer 2019 and the 2019-20 academic year, you will submit two separate waiver forms – one for summer and one for the annual school year.
- Domestic students must submit the online waiver form by January 1, 2020 in order to waive SHIP for the spring semester.
Dependent Enrollment Deadline
- Students enrolled in SHIP may enroll dependents for annual coverage by submitting the SHIP Dependent Enrollment Form. The deadline to enroll dependents for annual coverage is September 12, 2019.
Request to Terminate Deadline
- Graduate and Professional students, including International graduate and professional students, graduating in December must submit the Request to Terminate Form to the Chair of the Student Health Insurance Appeals Committee, Elizabeth Boyd by December 31, 2019.
How to Print SHIP ID Cards
ID cards are usually available 5-7 business days after your eligibility is confirmed.
- Go to gallagherstudent.com/vanderbilt
- On the left toolbar, click ‘Account Home’
- Log in by following the instructions on the website (if you haven’t already)
- You will be redirected to the ‘Account Home’ page, then click on ‘Generate ID Card’ under ‘Coverage History’
SHIP Communications Timeline
|Late April||Email sent from Gallagher to summer students to notify that waiver form is available|
|Early May||Email sent from Gallagher to all domestic students that waiver form is available|
|Early May||Email from Student Accounts to all Undergraduate and Graduate students with information about health insurance requirement|
|Early June||Email from Gallagher to domestic students who waived in the summer to remind them to submit their annual waiver, if not yet submitted|
|Mid-June||Email from Student Accounts to all Undergraduate and Graduate students as a reminder about health insurance requirement|
|Mid-July||Email from Student Accounts to all Undergraduate and Graduate students as a reminder about health insurance requirement|
|Early August||E-Bill sent from Student Accounts to all students, with reminder to waive health insurance, if applicable|
|Early August||Email sent from Gallagher to all students as a reminder to reenroll dependents|
|Early August||Email sent from Gallagher to all students as a welcome to the SHIP plan with information on how to obtain an ID card and how to waive|
|Early September||Email sent from Gallagher to domestic students with reminder about denied waivers and instructions on how to submit Petition to Waive form by September 27|
|Late September||Email sent from Gallagher to domestic students as a reminder to submit Petition to Waive documentation by October 11|
|Early December||Email sent from Gallagher to all domestic students that waiver form is available|
|Early December||E-Bill sent from Student Accounts to all students|
|Early January||Email sent from Gallagher to domestic students new to SHIP in Spring with reminder about denied waivers and instructions on how to submit Petition to Waive form by February 14|
|Mid-January||Email sent from Gallagher to all students new to SHIP in Spring as a welcome to the SHIP plan with information on how to obtain an ID card and waive|
|Mid-February||Email sent from Gallagher to domestic students as a reminder to submit Petition to Waive documentation by February 28|