For a new Exchange Visitor to come to Vanderbilt, the Exchange Visitor Application must be submitted electronically to ISSS by the Department.
Before completing the Exchange Visitor Application please make sure you have the following documents available for upload:
- Exchange Visitor’s Personal Information Form
- Exchange Visitor’s English Proficiency Documentation *Please see VUMC and VU webpages for appropriate forms of documentation
- Visa Deemed Export Questionnaire
- Appointment Letter or Letter of Invitation
- Proof of Financial Support, if prospective Exchange Visitor is not supported entirely by Vanderbilt funds
In addition, if the Exchange Visitor is a transfer they must complete the SEVIS Transfer Form. Transfers include those who are currently in the United States in an Exchange Visitor Program (EVP) and those wishing to change departments within Vanderbilt.
The requesting department should ensure that both the Exchange Visitor Personal Information and Visa Deemed Export Questionnaire are both complete before completing the Exchange Visitor Application.
If the EV will be sponsored wholly or in part by non-Vanderbilt funds, a copy of the appointment letter and proof of financial support must be attached.
If the scholar is eligible, ISSS will prepare a Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019) for the requesting department to mail to the scholar, along with the additional information provided by ISSS. The scholar will then take the DS-2019 to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for a J-1 visa and will enter the US in J-1 status.
Information regarding H-1B and other employment related visa categories should be directed to Vanderbilt University Human Resources’ Global Support Services or Vanderbilt University Medical Center Immigration Services.