Skip to main content

J-1 Scholars

J- 1 Research Scholar, Professor and Student Intern

The main goal of the Exchange Visitor Program is to promote international educational and cultural exchange to develop mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and other countries. The Vanderbilt University services three types of J-1 scholars: students interns, research scholars, and professors. Tenure-track or on-going staff positions are not eligible for these J-1 categories.

  • J-1 Research Scholars or Professor
  • J-1 Student Interns

If you are invited by a Vanderbilt department to participate in a J-1 program, the department will initiate the request process with ISSS, and will ask for information and documentation from you. Once requested, you will complete the Exchange Visitor Personal Information, provide proof of financial support (if not entirely sponsored by Vanderbilt), copies of your passport and any current immigration documentation. If you are eligible, ISSS will prepare a Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019) and you will receive email notification from ISSS when the DS2019 is available to download on the ISSS portal.

You will pay the SEVIS Fee, schedule a visa appointment, and follow US Consulate visa guidelines and requirements. Canadian citizens are exempt from the visa application process, but will enter the U.S. in J-1 status with the DS-2019.


In addition, if you in J-1 status and transferring to Vanderbilt from another institution, you must complete the SEVIS Transfer Form and provide this to your department, along with the above-mentioned documents.

Additional Visas:

Information regarding H-1B and other employment related visa categories should be directed to the Office of Employee Immigration Services  or for those at VUMC to Vanderbilt University Medical Center Immigration Services.