Skip to main content


To qualify for dependent status, a spouse or unmarried, minor (under age 21) child must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer and the immigration officer at the port of entry that:

  • He or she is the spouse (marriage license) or child (birth certificate) of the F-1 or J-1 visa holder
  • He or she has sufficient funds to cover his/her expenses, or that other arrangements have been made to provide for expenses once in the U.S.
  • He or she intends to leave the U.S. upon the termination of the status of the F-1 or J-1 visa holder

If you have dependent(s) that would like to enter the U.S. on an F-2 or J-2 visa, you must complete and submit the following materials to ISSS:

  1. Dependent Application
  2. Marriage Certificate (if dependent is spouse)
  3. Passport ID page(s) for each dependent
  4. Proof of Financial Support

If you would like your visiting family members to enter on a B visa as a tourist, please see here for information regarding invitation letters.

Your dependent(s) will be required to maintain health insurance. Please click here for information on dependent health insurance.