Skip to main content



To qualify for dependent status, a spouse or unmarried, minor (under age 21) child must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer and the immigration officer at the port of entry that:

  • He or she is the spouse (marriage license) or child (birth certificate) of the F-1 or J-1 visa holder
  • He or she has sufficient funds to cover his/her expenses, or that other arrangements have been made to provide for expenses once in the U.S.
  • He or she intends to leave the U.S. upon the termination of the status of the F-1 or J-1 visa holder

If you have dependent(s) that would like to enter the U.S. on an F-2 or J-2 visa, you must complete and submit the following materials to ISSS:

  1. Dependent Application
  2. Marriage Certificate (if dependent is spouse)
  3. Passport ID page(s) for each dependent
  4. Proof of Financial Support

If you would like your visiting family members to enter on a B visa as a tourist, please see here for information regarding invitation letters.

Your dependent(s) should maintain health insurance for the full duration of time they are in the United States. Please click here for information on dependent health insurance.

Studying in the U.S.


F-2 dependents may study part-time in any certified program at an SEVP-certified school as long as it does not amount to what regulations define as full-time for F-1 students.

An F-2 child may engage in full-time study in any elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through twelfth grade).



F-2 dependents are not eligible for employment authorization and cannot accept any employment in the U.S.