Skip to main content

Departure and Research Abroad

Keeping DS-2019 Active While Conducting Research Abroad

J-1 Scholars who plan to continue their J-1 program at Vanderbilt while outside the U.S. by continuing research abroad must notify ISSS of the following information via the online Departure Form. The Departure Form will ask for the following information:

Out of Country Begin Date:
Out of Country End Date:
Out of Country Location:
Out of Country Address:
Out of Country Activity Details:

Once ISSS receives this information ISSS will contact the scholar’s department supervisor for approval.

While Outside the U.S. –

The Scholar Must:
Maintain health insurance and update ISSS with any address changes while abroad

The Department Must:
Notify ISSS monthly to confirm that the scholar is maintaining valid program status and is making progress towards program completion.



If you are completing your program at Vanderbilt and leaving the U.S. please complete the online Departure Form.  After your program ends your DS-2019 will be inactivated and you will not be able to use the DS-2019 for reentry to the U.S.  Please contact ISSS if you have any questions or concerns at