Keeping DS-2019 Active While Conducting Research Abroad
J-1 Scholars who plan to continue their J-1 program at Vanderbilt while outside the U.S. by continuing research abroad must notify ISSS of the following information via the online Departure Form. The Departure Form will ask for the Out of Country Begin Date, End Date, Location, Address, and Activity Details.
Before considering research abroad, please contact the International Tax Office. Additionally, you will want to confirm with the department/school administration that the research abroad is approvable.
- Once ISSS receives this information, the assigned ISSS advisor will contact the scholar’s department supervisor for approval.
While outside the U.S., the scholar must:
- Maintain health insurance that meets the Department of State requirements
- Update ISSS with any address changes while abroad
- Update ISSS of any intention to remain abroad
While outside the U.S., the scholar’s department must:
- Notify ISSS monthly to confirm that the scholar is maintaining valid program status and is making progress toward program completion