Home » New Students and Scholars » Visa Process

Visa Process

Students and Scholars presently outside the U.S. will need to take their I-20 or DS-2019 and passport to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest to your current residence to apply either an F-1 or J-1 visa. This is a stamp (or sticker) placed in your passport by a consular officer, which permits your entry to the U.S.  For more visa information please visit.

All family member(s) who will accompany you will also need to go with you to the Consulate with their I-20 or DS-2019 and passport to apply for a F-2 or J-2 visa.

You will also need to take proof of your financial support for the entire time you and your dependents will be in the U.S., as well as evidence that you are maintaining a residence outside the U.S. to which you intend to return once you complete your program.

Canadian citizens do not need a J-1 visa stamp to enter the U.S.; the I-20 or DS-2019 form and passport should be presented to Immigration at the Port of Entry.

Back Home   

Walk-In & Office Hours

Office Hours
Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm

Walk-In Hours
Monday – Friday 1:30pm-3:30pm

To meet with an adviser outside of walk-in hours, please email isss@vanderbilt.edu to make appointments at least 24 hours in advance.

Contact Us

Phone: (615)322-2753
Fax: 615-343-7799
Email: isss@vanderbilt.edu

Quick Links

Recent News