World On Wednesdays (WOW)
WOW is a series that seeks to expand our perceptions and prepare us to become more diverse and globally inclusive. Past WOW’s have included faculty and student presentations, global education and research topics, guest speakers, and special cultural occasions. Presenters have shared insight on topics related to their home country/culture, a research interest, current events, and more.
Past presentations have included:
- The Governance of Antarctica – A Continent without a Country
- Addressing Climate Injustice in the Developing World: The Floods in Pakistan
- The Role of Mexico in Migration
- Indonesia, the Improbable Nation: Bringing Together Language, Ethnic, and Religious Diversity
Upcoming WoW Sessions
Please join us for our 2023-2024 WoW series! All sessions will be held in Sarratt 189 from 12pm to 1pm unless otherwise noted. Check back for updates and RSVP links!
- Cultivating Moral Leadership in Global Times: Come learn about how moral leadership is a distinct form of leadership that anyone can practice. We will engage how to cultivate it with others in a variety of settings and with people from different backgrounds, focused first and foremost on the university setting at Vanderbilt. This session will be led by Laine Walters Young, Assistant Director of the Cal Turner Program for Moral Leadership.
- Wednesday, October 25, 2023
- Education Around the World: Perspectives and Stories: Humphrey Fellows will share their experiences in education around the world.
- Wednesday, November 15, 2023
- Click here to RSVP!
- Breaking the Borders to Support International Student Athletes: This presentation explores the challenges faced by international student-athletes and the innovative strategies and solutions to support their academic and athletic endeavors. We will discuss the unique obstacles these athletes encounter, such as visa issues, cultural adjustments, and academic demands, and present initiatives that foster inclusivity, mentorship, and holistic support. By breaking down the borders that can hinder their success, we aim to inspire universities, sports organizations, and communities to create a more welcoming environment for international student-athletes, enhancing their personal growth and contributions to the world of sports and education.
- Wednesday, January 24, 2024
- Benchmarking the Finnish Education Miracle: We will explore what is the inner goals learning opportunity looking at “education success as miracle”, and cultivating the attention on the context, of the Finnish story, in global teachers training. This will be presented by Andreea Gatman, Humphrey Fellow and Teacher Trainer & Coach in Finland, Founder of Actonlearning.
- Wednesday, February 21, 2024
- How Chiraagh-E-Noor Education is Providing access to Females in Villages in Pakistan: Chiraagh-e-Noor Education is the journey of a first-generation college student who powered through poverty lines and committed himself to give back to the community. Chiraagh-e-Noor Education is a registered nonprofit organization which is providing access to quality education to financially constrained students and also training girls who couldn’t attend school in vocational skills so that they can earn and support their families. This will be presented by Waqas Haider, IEPM student at Peabody College and Founder of Chiraagh-e-Noor Education in Pakistan.
- Wednesday, March 27, 2024
If you have any questions, please contact us!