Below is some general information about orientation for students and scholars. Orientation is mandatory and will provide important information about status maintenance, health insurance, campus resources, and more.
F-1 and J-1 Student Orientation
New students who are studying on an F-1 or J-1 student visa must attend International Student Orientation. Please check your email for the most up-to-date information on Orientation.
J-1 Scholar and Intern Orientation
J-1 Exchange Visitor Orientation takes place every Thursday morning at ISSS in the Sarratt Student Center, Suite 100. This orientation is for newly arrived J-1 Exchange Visitors in the Research Scholar, Professor, Short-term Scholar, and Student Intern categories.
Newly arrived J-1 scholars will be asked to sign up for an orientation slot during check-in with ISSS. You can sign up for an orientation session here. Orientation takes place each Thursday from 10am to 11:30am.
Scholar Arrival Checklist
- Check-in with the hosting academic department.
- Come to ISSS for mandatory Welcome Check-In. Bring your passport and DS-2019. Also, be ready to provide a local address and phone number. ISSS needs copies of stamped travel documents for the scholar’s file.
- Get your Vanderbilt Identification Card. The University Card Office is located in Sarratt Student Center, Room 184. You will need your passport, DS-2019, and official invitation letter or offer letter from Vanderbilt. (Dependents can get a Vanderbilt Identification Card too for $10)
- Get VUNetID and Vanderbilt Email Account.
- Attend J-1 Exchange Visitor Orientation at ISSS. Orientation is every Thursday at 10am.
- Complete the J-1 Insurance Requirement Acknowledgement and Pledge form and return it to ISSS within two weeks of check in.
Additional Steps if Being Paid by Vanderbilt
- Apply for a Social Security Number. Bring your passport, DS-2019, and Vanderbilt offer letter to the Social Security Administration which is located at 120 Athens Way, Nashville, 37228. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays: 9am to 3pm. Wednesdays: 9am to 12pm. Closed Saturdays and Sundays.
- Have your hiring department or supervisor Request access to the GLACIER Tax Database from the International Tax Office (ITO).
- Attend New Staff Orientation to learn about health insurance plans and benefits. You can learn more about this orientation at http://hr.vanderbilt.edu/training/newstafforientation.php