Skip to main content

F-1 and J-1 Students

F-1 Students

F-1 students are non-immigrants pursuing a full course of study towards a specific educational or professional objective at an academic institution in the U.S., as designated by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

J-1 Students

J-1 students are non-immigrants pursuing a full course of study towards specific educational or professional objectives at academic institutions in the U.S., as designated by the Department of State (DOS). A J-1 student is admitted to the U.S. for a period known as “duration of status” (D/S). Failure to maintain J-1 non-immigrant status is grounds for removal from the U.S. under the Immigration & Naturalization Act. Upon entry to the U.S. as a J-1 student, you accept responsibility to abide by the conditions of your non-immigrant status. The information provided here should serve as your guide to keeping legal J-1 student status throughout your stay in the U.S.

F-1 vs. J-1 Status: What’s the Difference?

International students who are admitted to a degree seeking program at Vanderbilt University and who need to apply for a visa could consider two visa types: F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor. All degree-seeking students are generally eligible for an F-1 visa, but not all are eligible for a J-1 visa. See this comparison chart for some general information to help you determine which visa category (or categories) you are eligible for and which one would be best suited for you.

Consult ISSS should you have any questions regarding these or other issues regarding your non-immigrant status in the U.S.