Home » Immigration » J-1 Students » Employment


Employment Authorization

J-1 students must obtain authorization prior to beginning any type of employment, including on campus jobs and assistantships. ISSS can authorize employment for all J-1’s with a Vanderbilt DS-2019.  Students with DS-2019’s issued by a sponsor other than Vanderbilt, such as IIE, should contact their J-1 Responsible Officer for assistance.

Click on the links above for information on various types of employment authorization.


Volunteering must be a legitimate, advertised volunteer position in which you do not receive any type of compensation including financial.


Back Home   

Walk-In & Office Hours

Office Hours
Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm

Walk-In Hours
Monday – Friday 1:30pm-3:30pm

To meet with an adviser outside of walk-in hours, please email isss@vanderbilt.edu to make appointments at least 24 hours in advance.

Contact Us

Phone: (615)322-2753
Fax: 615-343-7799
Email: isss@vanderbilt.edu

Quick Links

Recent News