Skip to main content

Important Topics

Fiscal Management | Sale, Solicitation, & Fundraising | Brand Engagement | Protection of Minors | Organization Registration | Event Registration | Student Travel

Fiscal Management

Student organization leaders are expected to maintain a positive balance in their on-campus account. In order to assist with this, coaches are given access to student organization accounts as well as authorization for expenditures from the account. Students gain access to use their funds in the following ways:

Funding Options

Student Services Fee

As part of standard tuition and fees, each Vanderbilt student pays a Student Services Fee (SSF). The fee collected helps support Registered Student Organizations (RSOs). A portion of the SSF is allocated to RSOs through the Vanderbilt Student Government (VSG) Student Services Fee Committee. RSOs are eligible to apply for SSF funding each spring semester for the following academic year. For the most updated information on SSF allocation, please go to the Student Services Fee Website or Anchor Link Page.

Other Funding

  • A limited amount of additional SSF funding is available for new or unique initiatives from existing RSOs or for new organizations not able to apply for SSF through the Student SSF Contingency Fund. The form is available on the VSG Anchor Link page;
  • Vanderbilt Student Government (VSG) Co-sponsorship: VSG has a limited amount of co-sponsorship funding available to RSO’s for program initiatives. The form is available on the VSG Anchor Link page;
  • Vanderbilt Programming Board (VPB) Co-sponsorship: The VPB Co-Sponsorship application is available on the VPB Anchor Link page;
  • Graduate Student Council (GSC) : The Graduate Student Council has a limited amount of funding available specifically for graduate student organizations. Contact the GSC President at for more information;
  • An organization can collect money through fundraisers, dues, ticket sales, and similar activities. Funds (cash and checks) collected in this manner should be deposited as soon after collection as possible. To make a deposit into the Registered Student Organization’s account, officers should fill out the RSO Deposit Form and send it to Mark Leners.  Take a look at our deposit page for more detailed information.

Back to Top

Sale, Solicitation, & Fundraising

  • According to the Student Handbook, facilities of the campus, including Alumni Hall, Rand Terrace, Sarratt Student Center | Rand Hall, The Student Life Center, The Commons Center, The Kissam Center, Vanderbilt Stadium, the Recreation and Wellness Center, and Memorial Gymnasium, may not be used for the sale or promotion of activities that are not related to the University except by arrangement with the appropriate University office;
  • Arrangements for sale of event tickets through the Sarratt Box Office may be made through the Office of Reservations and Events;
  • Registered Student Organizations may engage in the distribution of items for a suggested donation when the funds raised are for the use of the organization in its regular activities (including philanthropic efforts) and are deposited into the organization’s University account;
  • Organizations undertaking such distribution must comply with University policies regarding the ordering of merchandise and licensing. With the exception of event tickets, organizations are prohibited from offering items for sale.

Back to Top

Brand Engagement

  • Reproduction of all logos, names, slogans, symbols, and seals associated with and used by Vanderbilt University are trademarks, and therefore, represent exclusive property of the University. Student organizations need to work with the Office of Brand Engagement before reproducing these images on products (e.g., T-shirts, mugs, promotional giveaways). In order to begin the process, student organizations need to fill out the Merchandise Request Form.  More detailed information on licensing and branding is available on the Office of Brand Engagement Website.

Back to Top

Protection of Minors

  • Both students and student organizations must comply with the University’s protection of minor’s policy. Both the policy and the process for compliance and implementation can be found on the Risk Management Website.  Protection of Minors information is also available on the Student Accountability Website.

Back to Top

Organization Registration

  • The University regulates the campus activities of organizations and groups whose activities relate to the University’s educational and service purposes. The Office of Student Organizations and Governance registers undergraduate and graduate student organizations within the Vanderbilt community.

Back to Top

Event Registration

  • Registered student organizations, administrative offices, or academic departments may reserve space on campus through the Student Centers Website. Students need to first reserve a space through Events at Vanderbilt or their Virtual EMS platform and then register the event in Anchor Link.

Back to Top

Student Travel

  • Please review the University policy on travel. Vanderbilt registers and assumes responsibility only for those official overnight or out-of-town trips sponsored and directed by an administrative division of the University (e.g., the Spirit of Gold Marching Band). The University assumes no responsibility for travel for which the University has no oversight, such as sorority and fraternity destination formals, or affiliated ministry service trips. However, such organizations and ministries undertaking such travel must—in advance of the trip–inform their coaches (the Greek advisors in the case of fraternities and sororities), and provide emergency contact information and a roster of student travelers to the Vanderbilt University Police Department and the Office of Housing and Residential Education. Any student who wishes to travel on behalf of, or as a representative of, Vanderbilt University or any registered student organization must receive written authorization in advance from the appropriate dean (see also the section entitled “Universal Waiver,” in Chapter 1, “Policies and Regulations”).

Back to Top