Student Organization Policies
Student Handbook Policies for Student Organizations
The following policies in the Vanderbilt Student Handbook apply to Registered Student Organizations:
- Coaches to Registered Student Organizations
- Student Communications
- Vanderbilt Student Publications
- Other Publications
- Freedom of Expression
- Funding (See also “Sale, Solicitation, and Fundraising”)
- Student Governance
- Governing Councils & Organizations
- Student Organization Eligibility
- Student Organization Registration
- Fraternities and Sororities
- Student Organization Mailboxes
- There is a limited number of student organization mailboxes located in the Station B Post Office in Sarratt | Rand. Email email@example.com if you want to reserve a mailbox. Decisions are made based on space availability and demonstrated need for the box.
- Political Activity
- Tax Exempt status legal restrictions
- No actions that states or implies endorsement or opposition of political candidates
- Students who run for political office etc.
- Publicity, Promotions, and Advertising
- Distribution of Notices in Campus Mail Boxes
- Display of Posters, Banners, and Printed Announcements
- Hand-Painted Signs and Banners
- Chalk, “Tagging,” etc.
- Reservations & Event Registration
- Reservation Policies
- Special Event Registration
- Student Travel
- Sound Amplification and Noise
- Sale, Solicitation, and Fundraising
- Co-Sponsorships or Department Allocations
- Dues, Ticket Sales, and On-campus Fundraisers
- Guidelines for Soliciting Parents and Alumni
- Guidelines for Solicitation of Area Merchants and Corporate Sponsors
- Grants and Foundations
- Soliciting for Charity
- Vanderbilt University Charitable Giving Policy
- Soliciting for Religious Activities
- Soliciting for Employment
For official alcohol policies for student organizations and events, please refer to the section of the student handbook titled “Alcohol and Controlled Substances” . For any questions about the University’s alcohol policies or to schedule Host Responsibility Training, contact the Office of Wellness Programs and Alcohol Education.
Office of Trademark Licensing: Student organizations wishing to use Vanderbilt University’s marks on t-shirts or other giveaways must follow the University’s Trademark Licensing Policy.
Please note: T-shirts and other promotional items cannot be ordered with a Vanderbilt “P-card or One Card”. The steps below must be followed!
- Fill-out the on-line Merchandise Request Form (this will require that you have your design ready);
- Decide which licensed supplier (using an approved vendor is required) you are going to use. Click here to review the current list of approved vendors;
- Finalize shirt type, sizes and design with supplier;
- Have the supplier provide a quote via email;
- Send the quote to your coach first;
- Allow the coach to identify available resources for assistance with Oracle ordering (to create a purchase requisition in the Vanderbilt Oracle system). The Merchandise Order Request Number (MOR#) given by the Trademark Office must be entered on the Oracle requisition in a comment box;
- Once the requisition is approved through the Vanderbilt Procurement Department, the Coach (or designee creating the purchase requisition) should pass the purchase order number (different from MOR#) along to the supplier;
- The vendor can then process the order and send an invoice for payment to Vanderbilt’s Disbursement Department. That invoice should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- If additional resources are needed for assistance with ordering through Oracle, contact your departmental administrative staff to request assistance.
- After all of the above instructions are followed, if assistance is still needed, administrative staff in the Office of the Dean of Students can assist;
- Please Note: If your organization is a Fraternity or Sorority, you may download and follow these guidelines on Ordering Promotional Items.
Please review the Office of Housing and Residential Education’s donation drive policy before planning a drive in the Residence Halls.