Skip to main content

Student Organization Policies

Student Handbook Policies for Student Organizations
 | Alcohol Policies | Use of Vanderbilt Name or Trademarks on T-shirts and Other Promotional Giveaways | Donation Drives | Travel

Student Handbook Policies for Student Organizations

The following policies in the Vanderbilt Student Handbook apply to Registered Student Organizations:

Back to Top

Alcohol Policies

For official alcohol policies for student organizations and events, please refer to the section of the student handbook titled “Alcohol and Controlled Substances” . For any questions about the University’s alcohol policies or to schedule Host Responsibility Training, contact the Office of Wellness Programs and Alcohol Education.  

Back to Top

Use of Vanderbilt Name or Trademarks on T-shirts and Other Promotional Items

Office of Trademark LicensingStudent organizations wishing to use Vanderbilt University’s marks on t-shirts or other giveaways must follow the University’s Trademark Licensing Policy.

Please note:  T-shirts and other promotional items cannot be ordered with a Vanderbilt “P-card or One Card”.  The steps below must be followed!

  • Fill-out the on-line Merchandise Request Form (this will require that you have your design ready);
  • Decide which licensed supplier (using an approved vendor is required) you are going to use. Click here to review the current list of approved vendors;
  • Finalize shirt type, sizes and design with supplier;
  • Have the supplier provide a quote via email;
  • Send the quote to your coach first;
  • Allow the coach to identify available resources for assistance with Oracle ordering (to create a purchase requisition in the Vanderbilt Oracle system). The Merchandise Order Request Number (MOR#) given by the Trademark Office must be entered on the Oracle requisition in a comment box;
  • Once the requisition is approved through the Vanderbilt Procurement Department, the Coach (or designee creating the purchase requisition) should pass the purchase order number (different from MOR#) along to the supplier;
  • The vendor can then process the order and send an invoice for payment to Vanderbilt’s Disbursement Department. That invoice should be sent to;
  • If additional resources are needed for assistance with ordering through Oracle, contact your departmental administrative staff to request assistance.
  • After all of the above instructions are followed, if assistance is still needed, administrative staff in the Office of the Dean of Students can assist;
  • Please Note: If your organization is a Fraternity or Sorority, you may download and follow these guidelines on Ordering Promotional Items.

Back to Top

Donation Drives

Please review the Office of Housing and Residential Education’s donation drive policy before planning a drive in the Residence Halls.

Back to Top


Important bullet points for student travel:

  • Checked out pcards cannot be used to pay for any student travel related charges (hotel, airfare, bus charter, car or van rental, retreat lodging).
    Students need to request travel assistance from a designated dos staff member in a timely manner;
  • Allow at least a two week turnaround. A longer lead time will be needed if travel involves airfare, hotel booking or other arrangements which are affected by pricing or availability;
  • All traveling students need to submit travel forms signed by the sponsoring groups’ coach. For large groups, travel forms may be photocopied. Please contact DOS Central staff (Sarratt 310) for more information on travel forms.
  • Traveling student groups should appoint one student representative to serve as the groups contact and point person.
  • If the group will be utilizing student drivers, each driver must complete the driver authorization process at least two weeks prior to departure. This requirement applies to all student drivers whether using their own cars or vehicles rented by the group.
  • The driver authorization process is: student drivers should be identified and appropriate paperwork collected, they should complete the course, “driver orientation” found onlne through the Vanderbilt learning exchange and have a motor vehicle report run and cleared.
  • Student organizations will be charged for each individual mvr which is run. The charge is approximately $10 per driver but the fee may differ somewhat per each home state.
  • Students should have the approval of their groups’ advisor and be certain that their group has sufficient funds to support their travel arrangements before contacting anyone for help with travel arrangements.

Back to Top