Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do new student organizations register?

Student leaders must complete the online registration process through Anchor Link in order to be officially recognized as a Registered Student Organization on campus. The new organization must have purposes that do not overlap significantly with those of any other registered organization. To read more about how to start a new organization, click here.

2. When do existing student organizations re-register?

Student leaders must renew their organization’s registration each year by completing the registration process within Anchor Link. The re-registration time frame begins after spring break. Students will be notified of the deadline (typically the first week in April).

3. What’s the University policy on students traveling?

Please review the University policy on travel. Vanderbilt registers and assumes responsibility only for those official overnight or out-of-town trips sponsored and directed by an administrative division of the University (e.g., the Spirit of Gold Marching Band). The University assumes no responsibility for travel for which the University has no oversight, such as sorority and fraternity destination formals, or affiliated ministry service trips. However, such organizations and ministries undertaking such travel must—in advance of the trip–inform their coach (the Greek advisors in the case of fraternities and sororities), and provide emergency contact information and a roster of student travelers to the Vanderbilt University Police Department and the Office of Housing and Residential Education. Any student who wishes to travel on behalf of, or as a representative of, Vanderbilt University or any registered student organization must receive written authorization in advance from the appropriate dean (see the section on Travel in the Student Handbook).

4. What constitutes travel? When do students need to fill out a form?

Students engaged in co-curricular travel in Davidson or one of the contiguous counties are not required to fill out a travel form unless it is an overnight trip. For example, organization members who are running errands, picking up materials from local merchants, or participating in monthly service activities do not have to fill out a travel form. However, if a student organization is planning an overnight retreat in one of the contiguous counties (i.e. Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, etc.), then a travel form is required. In general, when student organizations participate in travel outside of Davidson County or one of the contiguous counties, a travel form is required. Please note that an advisor’s signature is required on this form.

5. What’s the policy of students traveling where alcohol could be consumed?

When students travel, the same alcohol policies apply as they would for on-campus events.

6. What if a student organization interacts with minors?

Student organizations are asked about their interaction with minors in the student organization registration process. If a student organization begins to work with minors, the executive board and coach should implement this change into the constitution. In order to be in compliance with University policy, student organization leaders coordinating programs and/or events involving minors will need to complete the training module, Protection of Minors 101. In addition, all events must be registered in Anchor Link. If there is supervision from a third party (i.e. tutoring students at a local school), student organization members will just need to complete the training module. However, if there is not supervision from a third party, all student organization members will need to complete the training module and a background check. Please reach out to our office at for further questions.

7. What is a P-card?  How do I gain access to one?

A P-card is a credit card issued by Vanderbilt for the purpose of paying for expenses related to Vanderbilt departments and student organizations. P-cards may be checked out through a variety of offices. Click here for more information on P-cards.

8. Can students using Uber and Lyft services use a P-card?

Students cannot use a P-card to pay for Uber or Lyft because a personal account is required to pay for these services. However, students can be reimbursed if this type of service is approved by their organization. Students will need to keep the receipt and fill out a check request form. An organization can also pay for Lyft codes for members to use for org-related activities. You can find more information about this process here.

9. When do student organizations actually get funding into their account?

While Student Services Fee (SSF) funding decisions are made in April, student organizations would not receive SSF allocations until the beginning of the fall and spring semesters of the following academic year.

10. How do I change my organization’s name?

You may send an email to with your request.

11. How do I change my organization’s adviser?

You may send an email to with your inquiry.