Vanderbilt’s Student Care Network serves as your primary source for physical and mental health care, but it’s not always possible or convenient to meet with on-campus support staff. To ensure you have support anywhere at any time, Vanderbilt has provided a variety of resources to supplement SCN services.
SCC'S Guide to Finding Off-Campus Support
Student Care Coordination has put together a helpful guide to finding therapists outside of the University Counseling Center. Learn more.
Vanderbilt’s Student Care Network partners with Welltrack Connect – a therapy database that can help students find therapy providers off-campus. Students can create a free account and search providers in Nashville or another state. Students can use filters to search by insurance provider, gender identity, sexual orientation, race/ethnicity, religion, language, and several other factors to find their best match. Students can even reach out to providers directly through the HIPAA-compliant Welltrack Connect website.
Vanderbilt Telehealth by AcademicLiveCare (VTALC) is a telehealth platform that will allow you to attend behavioral and physical health appointments on a smartphone, computer, or another mobile device, free of charge.
With VTALC, you can schedule virtual visits with medical professionals for common conditions such as sinus infections, fevers, and allergies. VTALC also offers ongoing appointments with licensed psychologists, counselors, psychiatrists, or other providers to help with life’s challenges. Additional VTALC services include nutrition counseling and lactation consultations.
VTALC is intended to supplement the existing services offered through the University’s Student Care Network, including the University Counseling Center, Student Health Center, Student Care Coordination, and the Center for Student Wellbeing. VTALC is not a replacement for these services, and you should continue to utilize the Student Health Center as your source of primary care for physical health. VTALC should not be used in the case of an emergency or for urgent care needs. The University Counseling Center offers Urgent Care Counseling as well as an after-hours hotline for assistance in an immediate crisis.
To take advantage of VTALC, visit academiclivecare.com and follow the below instructions:
- Click ‘Get Connected’ on the home page and then ‘visit AcademicLiveCare’.
- After signing up, enter Service Key ALC & use Coupon Code ALCVBILT22 when prompted for payment. You will not be charged once you enter the Coupon Code.
- If you need assistance signing up, please utilize the AcademicLiveCare User Guide
- Please note there is a $40 cancellation fee for cancellations within 24 hours of a scheduled appointment or for no-shows.
If you have any questions or run into any issues setting up your new account, you can reach Customer Service 24/7 by submitting a request using https://academiclivecare.com/request-assistance/ or calling 866-882-0343.
Vanderbilt has arranged for students to have free access to Headspace – an award-winning, research-backed digital tool for mindful living with over 1,200+ hours of themed meditations, sleep content, mindful movement exercises, and focus music. With over 75+ research collaborations and 26 published studies as the mindfulness digital intervention of choice, Headspace has been shown to reduce stress, improve focus, increase resilience and happiness. Enroll in Vanderbilt's program here.
When you meditate with Headspace, every minute counts toward a healthier, happier you. Now, you can keep track of how you're feeling with My Progress. Find it in the Profile tab in the app, and see how meditation and mindfulness make a difference over time.
- Science-backed surveys: Measure your stresslevels with quick, monthly check-ins.
- Short & sweet journaling: Jot down notes and reflections, and come back to them when you need to.
- Progress at a glance: Get an overview of how your stresslevels change as you continue your practice.
"Intro to Headspace" Webinar
Headspace hosted a live webinar for Vanderbilt students to introduce Headspace and how you can utilize it.
View the webinar here. Access Passcode: #9t+Jxac
"Put Your Mind to Bed" Webinar
Headspace hosted a live webinar for Vanderbilt students about healthy sleep hygiene. You can view a recording of the webinar here.
Navigating Change and Anxiety Webinar
MindCheck is an emotional health tool available to students enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. Measure your mindset and get immediate feedback and resources to maintain a positive outlook. You’ll also find tips, articles and videos on a variety of topics that include: relationships, depression, fitness and nutrition, stress, substance use and more. The MindCheck online tool asks you four simple questions so you can be aware of how you’re feeling. You’ll be matched to a color and level to provide insight into your emotional health. And the MindCheck site tracks your history, so you can see how your results change over time. Simply go to mindchecktoday.com to get started. And download the MindCheck app for Android and iPhone mobile devices.
Grad Ready is an online resource covering financial topics such as money management, paying for college, and real-world finance. Visit their website to learn how to manage a budget, understand credit, and increase your savings.
Part 1: Mindfulness
Part 2: Tolerating Distressing Moments
Part 3: Radical Acceptance
Please Note: The following resources are not affiliated with Vanderbilt University.
- Center for Grief and Loss
- Compassionate Friends: Support for families after child death.
- Full Circle Grief Center: Community of support for those who all have faced loss to some extent.
- Helping Children Deal with Grief: Offers new resources on terrorism, trauma, and children.
- The Center for Loss & Life Transition: Support and resources for those grieving, as well as those supporting them.
- The Recovery Village: Learn about the different ways people grieve, how people work through grief and when therapy or additional treatment is necessary.
- The Dougy Center: National Center for Grieving Children and Families.
- Qeepr [kee-per]: Allows you to build free interactive memorials for a loved one, while connecting you with other grieving families.
- Guide to Grieving and Bereavement: Helping Someone Who Is Grieving, and Coping with Divorce or Breakup.
- Grief in Common: LGBTQ+ grief support and resources.
- Therapy Tribe: LGBTQ+ affirmative support and resources.
- Grief Watch: Bereavement resource and memorial products, while also providing insightful content for working through personal loss.
- Help Guide: Psycho-education, support and resources for those who have lost a pet.
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement (APLB): Pet loss and anticipatory bereavement support groups, information and resources.
- Lap of Love: Pet loss support.
- University of Tennessee-Knoxville Veterinary Social Work: Pet loss support, information and resources. Pet Loss Support Hotline: 865-755-8839.
The below apps can be downloaded to your mobile device to help you prioritize, manage, and implement strategies to enhance your wellbeing. Search for and download the apps on Google Play (for Android) or through the Apple App Store. Some applications may also be accessed using your web browser.
Please Note: The following resources are not affiliated with Vanderbilt University.
|A Friend Asks||Offers warning signs of suicidal ideation and tips for getting help for a friend (or yourself) who may be struggling with thoughts of suicide.||Yes||Yes|
|Breathe2Relax||Provides instruction and guidance on breathing for stress management, mood stabilization, anger control, and anxiety.||Yes||Yes|
|Apple Health||Highlights four categories: Activity, Sleep, Mindfulness, and Nutrition. Health suggests great apps from each category to get you going, and the Today view shows all your stats at a glance to help you stay on track.||No||Yes|
|Calm||Helps to bring clarity, joy, and peace to your life with guided meditations, sleep stories, breathing programs and relaxing music.||Yes||Yes|
|AnxietyCoach||Mayo Clinic Anxiety Coach is a comprehensive self-help tool for reducing a wide variety of fears and worries from extreme shyness to obsessions and compulsions. Anxiety Coach helps you make a list of feared activities and then guides you through mastering them one by one. Through this experience you can increase your confidence as you become less fearful and worried.||Yes||Yes|
|Happify||A self-guided app that aims to increase positive emotions through exercises and games supported by positive psychology and mindfulness.||Yes||Yes|
|Headspace||Unique daily guided meditations to help reduce anxiety and stress||Yes||Yes|
|Innerworld||Your virtual sanctuary for mental health support, connecting you with a 24/7 community, guided events, and Cognitive Behavioral Immersion. Available on your iPhone, iPad, computer, or Meta Quest headset. For more info check out this video.||No (coming soon!)||Yes|
|Mealboard||Helps plan health meals, grocery lists, and recipes based on what you have in the fridge.||Yes||Yes|
|MindShift||Designed to help young adults cope with anxiety, including test anxiety, perfectionism, social anxiety, worry, panic, and conflict||Yes||Yes|
|Mood Tools||Provides tools based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to manage depression and low mood||Yes||Yes|
|Nudge||Helps you track all of your health habits and syncs with other devices and wearables.||Yes||Yes|
|Pacifica||Provides instruction on deep breathing, behavioral exercises, identifying cognitive distortions to help cope with anxiety, mood disorders, and stress||Yes||Yes|
|Panic Relief||Helps individuals manage and move through panic attacks using relaxation techniques.||Yes||Yes|
|PTSD Coach||From the National Center for PTSD, helps individuals learn about and manage symptoms that often occur after a trauma.||Yes||Yes|
|RxmindMe||Prescription reminder with many different categories of alerts.||No||Yes|
|Saying When||Helps you cut back or quit drinking by monitoring your blood alcohol level and when and how much you drink.||Yes||Yes|
|Sanvello||Health and wellness app used to support stress, anxiety, and depression.||Yes||Yes|
|WiseDrinking||Helps you cut back or quit drinking by monitoring when and how much you have had too much to drink and by providing guidance around safe drinking.||Yes||Yes|
|Zombies, Run!||Zombie-motivated running app.||Yes||Yes|