Skip to main content

Leaving Vanderbilt

Coverage Termination for Graduating Students

You will be covered under SHIP until the end of the policy period for which you are enrolled and your premium has been paid.

Graduation DateCoverage Termination Date
May GraduatesAugust 11, 2021
December Grad / Prof Graduates (if termination form approved)December 31, 2020

Spring Graduates:

  • Spring 2021 graduates will be covered through August 11, 2021, which is the end of the Plan policy period. You will no longer be covered under SHIP after this date.

Fall Graduates & Visiting Exchange students

  • Graduating graduate and professional students are eligible to request to terminate their spring/summer SHIP premium and coverage if your degree is conferred prior to December 31, 2020.
  • You may submit the Request to Terminate Form by logging in to your Gallagher student account at and selecting the “terminate / disenroll” link under “Student Account” beginning on January 4, 2021 through January 15, 2021. The deadline to submit the Request to Terminate Form is January 15, 2021.
  • Your request will be audited to ensure your degree is conferred prior to December 31, 2020.
  • If your form is approved, your coverage will be terminated as of December 31, 2020. You will no longer be covered under SHIP after this date.
  • Insured domestic students who also have coverage for eligible dependents will receive a refund of excess premium for your covered dependents. The refund amount will be determined after the spring termination is approved.
  • Undergraduate, graduate, and professional visiting international exchange students may also submit a Request to Terminate Form if you are leaving the United States. You will be required to show proof of departure from the U.S. (i.e. boarding pass and/or passport exit stamp). Coverage will be terminated as of the last day of the month you resided in the United States.

Disenrollment Request Form 

  • When a domestic student obtains comparable insurance coverage from a U.S. based insurance company, a student can complete the Spring/Summer Disenrollment Request Form. The deadline to submit the disenrollment request form is January 31, 2021.
  • The disenrollment form is available at Click the “terminate / disenroll” link under “Student Account” and follow the prompts to submit evidence of comparable insurance coverage.
  • In order for the request to be approved, the other insurance plan must be fully compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and comparable to the Vanderbilt University Student Health Insurance Plan. Requests will be audited to confirm coverage is comparable.
  • Students who incur claims on or after January 1, 2021 will not be permitted to disenroll from spring/summer coverage.
  • International students may not disenroll.

Leave of Absences (PLOA/MLOA) & Withdrawals

  • If you take a leave of absence within the first 30 days of class, you will be automatically terminated from the SHIP plan (and no longer have SHIP coverage).
  • If you take a leave of absence after being enrolled for 31 days, you will remain enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan until the end of the plan year. If you have been enrolled in SHIP for longer than one year, you may request to extend your enrollment under SHIP while on a MLOA for a maximum of one year. Complete and submit a MLOA Enrollment Application with a copy of your MLOA letter from your Dean to Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk no later than August 1, 2021 to ensure timely enrollment.
  • Upon returning from a leave of absence, if you are enrolled in four or more credits, you will be automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan.
  • Students on a leave of absence are not eligible to be treated at the Student Health Center or at the University Counseling Center.

Post-graduation Insurance Options

Dependent Coverage

Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) insurance plans must offer coverage for dependent children up to age 26. If under the age of 26, you may be eligible to stay on your parent’s insurance plan. Be aware that your parents may receive an explanation of benefits (EOB) from their insurance carrier with details about your health care services.

Enroll in New Coverage

You may enroll for new coverage through a variety of options:

Purchase a State Marketplace Plan
You have the option to purchase a state Marketplace Plan (also known as the “exchange”):

  • Visit to find Marketplace plans for your state.
  • Marketplace plans must provide comprehensive coverage, including hospitalization, prescriptions, and doctor visits and subsidies, and cost-sharing reductions may be available to help make coverage and care more affordable.
  • Your state Marketplace can help you compare health insurance plans based on your zip code, age, and income level.
  • Typically open enrollment is Nov 1 – Dec 15; however, new graduates may have a qualifying life event that allows them to enroll in special enrollment periods. These events may include:
    • Moving to or from the place you attended school
    • Losing your student health insurance plan or dropping off your parents’ plan
    • Other life events, like getting married or having a baby

State Medicaid Plan
If your income is low or you have certain life situations, you may qualify for free or low-cost insurance coverage through your state’s Medicaid program. If you have children, they might qualify for coverage under the Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP) – even if you do not qualify for Medicaid. To find a state’s Medicaid plan, visit

Private Insurance Market
The Plan Finder is available to help you find private health plans available outside of the Health Insurance Marketplace. Employers often offer two common medical plans, including a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) plan or a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plan.

Employer-based Plan
You may have the option to enroll in a new insurance plan through your employer.

  • Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) Plan
    An HMO is a type of managed care health plan consisting of a network of doctors and hospitals dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable health care. When enrolled in an HMO, a primary care physician (PCP) coordinates all of your care and refers you to network specialists when needed. HMO plans usually limit coverage to care from doctors who work for or contract with the HMO. It generally won’t cover out-of-network care except in an emergency. An HMO may require you to live or work in its service area to be eligible for coverage. HMOs often provide integrated care and focus on prevention and wellness.
  • Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) Plan
    A PPO plan is a type of managed care health plan that allows you to see any doctor of your choice, offering both in-network and out-of-network coverage. Under a PPO plan, your out-of-pocket costs will be lower when using in-network providers.


  • Typically, losing insurance will qualify you for a special enrollment period to buy new insurance. It may take several weeks to complete the enrollment process, so begin your search early and do not miss your enrollment window.
  • Note that state laws regulate health insurance plans, and not all state policies are the same.
  • Maintain an updated mailing address to ensure you receive important information in order to enroll in new insurance coverage.
  • It may be helpful to fill your prescriptions before you leave.
  • It may be helpful to request copies of your medical records before you leave.