Skip to main content

Finding Off-Campus Support

The Office of Student Care Coordination (OSCC) is committed to helping students connect with the right support, in the right place, at the right time.  Depending on your needs, the right support may include connecting with a therapist to help you meet your personal and/or academic goals.

The Vanderbilt University Counseling Center (UCC) is available for eligible students and utilizes a time effective model of care to assist students in addressing issues common in a university setting. This time effective therapy is focused on helping students resolve or manage specific challenges, or make a desired change.  We recognize that some students may wish or need to have therapy more frequently or for a longer duration of time than the UCC can provide. In these instances, connecting with a therapy provider off-campus in the Nashville community or in another location may be the best place for you to receive support more frequently or for a longer period of time, or if you are not in Tennessee.

Finding an off-campus provider is not always an easy task! The OSCC has worked hard to network with community providers and increase options for off-campus care. We encourage students to explore the resources below and click the image below to review our “Guide to Finding Off-Campus Support” to further assist you in finding the right provider for your needs.

Student Care Coordinators are also available to help you navigate off-campus options or to help you determine if off-campus support is right for you. Students can complete an Intake Form and schedule a time to meet with a Care Coordinator for additional support.


The Shrink Space

Vanderbilt has partnered with The Shrink Space  – a therapy database that can help students find providers off-campus.  Students can create a free account with their Vanderbilt email address and search providers in Nashville or another state. Students can use filters to search by insurance provider, gender identity, sexual orientation, race/ethnicity, religion, language, and several other factors to find their best match. Students can even reach out to providers directly through the HIPAA-compliant Shrink Space website.

My Student Support Program (My SSP)

Picture of My SSP mobile app.

My Student Support Program (My SSP) is a free, 24/7 confidential support program available to all International Students. My SSP provides free access to confidential counseling services, as well as a variety of wellbeing resources, including articles, assessments, and virtual fitness sessions. Real-time support is available by phone and live chat (no appointment needed!), and students may also schedule video appointments. My SSP counselors are available who speak Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, French, and English. For other language preferences, students may request an appointment with a counselor who speaks their preferred language depending on availability. International students can connect with MySSP by downloading the “My SSP” app from their device’s app store, calling 1-866-743-7732 (US calls) or 001-416-380-6579 (international calls), or by visiting International calling charges will apply unless you either call via Wi-Fi, or opt to “call collect” by finding the collect call service for the country in which you are located, and request to make a collect call to 001-416-380-6579. My SSP will accept the collect call charges.

Additional Resources

The following platforms are also available to help students locate off-campus therapists who may meet their unique needs. It is important to keep in mind that these resources are not affiliated with or updated by Vanderbilt University.

Psychology Today

Sukhi – Culturally Sensitive Therapist Directory

Inclusive Therapists

Therapy for Black Girls

Therapy for Black Men

The Association of Black Psychologists

Institute for Muslim Mental Health – Provider Directory

Latinx Therapists and Speakers

National Queer and Trans Therapists of Color Network

Asian, Pacific Islander, and South Asian American (APISAA) Therapist Directory

For substance abuse-specific treatment and information: 

Vanderbilt Recovery Support (VRS) Collegiate Recovery Program

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)