- Degree and non-degree seeking students (excluding DUS and Consortium students) enrolled in 4+ credit hours, a 0-credit research/dissertation course, or any other course that is considered to equate to full-time enrollment are automatically enrolled in SHIP. Students who meet the eligibility requirements are automatically enrolled in and billed for SHIP. Insured students must actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days after the date for which coverage is purchased to remain enrolled. Insured students may request to waive SHIP based on Vanderbilt’s waiver policies.
- If you are eligible for SHIP and withdraw from school, including a leave of absence or a medical leave of absence (MLOA), within the first 31 days of the Plan coverage period beginning August 12, 2021, you will not be eligible for SHIP and your coverage will be terminated. If you paid the premium, you will be reimbursed less any claims paid. Graduating or having a degree conferred within 31 days of the start of the Plan coverage period is not considered a withdrawal from school, and you will remain enrolled in the Plan. If you are eligible for SHIP and withdraw from school after 31 days, you will be covered for the remainder of the Plan year through August 12, 2022, and no refund will be allowed. (This refund policy will not apply if you withdraw due to a covered Accident or Sickness.)
Early Arrival Enrollment
- Eligible students (those who are required to be on campus early as part of their program, or student athletes) who need insurance prior to the August 12, 2021 annual coverage effective date can enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan on a voluntary basis with additional premium by visiting vanderbilt.myahpcare.com. Early arrival coverage is effective July 1, 2021.
- Students may enroll in dependent coverage by visiting vanderbilt.myahpcare.com/enrollment
- Eligible dependents include a student’s married spouse or a child (under the age of 26). Domestic partners (same sex or opposite) are not covered.
- It is the insured student’s responsibility to enroll eligible dependents each year. Dependents are not automatically re-enrolled. Students need to purchase coverage for their eligible dependent(s) at the same time of their initial plan enrollment and must purchase the same period of coverage in which they are enrolled.
- The only time students can purchase coverage for their dependents outside of their own coverage period is if the student experiences one of the following qualifying events: (a) marriage (b) birth of a child (c) divorce (d) if the dependent is entering the country for the first time, or (e) if the dependent loses health insurance coverage under another health insurance plan. If dependent enrollment meets one these qualifying events, supporting documentation and payment must be submitted within 31 days of the qualifying event. Forms received more than 31 days after the qualifying event will not be accepted. Once a dependent is enrolled, coverage cannot be terminated unless the students loses eligibility.
- Students who need to purchase Annual coverage for their dependents can either pay for the entire annual premium in one payment or installment plan (via credit card, debit card, or ACH). The installment plan option allows students to make an initial payment of three (3) months of premium with the balance being paid in equal monthly installments starting October 13th for the next nine (9) months using the same payment method selected during the initial enrollment. If the payment method needs to be updated for any future scheduled payments, the student can change it via the online student portal.
- Students who need to purchase Spring/Summer 2022 coverage for their dependents can either pay for the entire annual premium in one payment or installment plan (via credit card, debit card, or ACH). The installment plan option allows students to make an initial payment of two (2) months of premium with the balance being paid in equal monthly installments starting February 1st for the next five (5) months using the same payment method selected during the initial enrollment. If the payment method needs to be updated for any future scheduled payments, the student can change it via the online student portal.
- For Summer 2022 enrollment, full payment of premium (no installment plan option available) is due at time of enrollment (via credit card, debit card, or ACH).
- If a payment is returned due to insufficient funds or a stop payment, students will be notified of the unpaid premium in writing via email until payment is received. The student will have the opportunity to update their payment method via the online student portal and complete the missing payment. If the student does not update their payment method and has missed two monthly payments, a termination letter will be mailed to the student. The student can reinstate coverage by reaching out to AHP within 30 days of the termination date. Payment of the full remaining balance will be required to reinstate coverage.
Dependent Enrollment Deadlines
|Student Description||Enrollment Deadline||Effective Date|
|Annual||September 9, 2021||August 12, 2021|
|Spring (Newly Enrolled Students)||February 1, 2022||January 1, 2022|
|Summer (Newly Enrolled Students)||July 22, 2022||May 1, 2022|