2020 First-Year Move-In Information
Mail Services processes all incoming mail and packages for students, faculty, staff, and departments. Presented below is information you need to know before mailing or shipping items to campus. For more information, please visit http://www.vanderbilt.edu/mailservices . If you would like to purchase items locally for move-in instead of shipping items, there is the Green Hills Mall, Walmart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, and bookstore near campus.
The first day to ship packages for move-in is August 3rd 2020. Packages shipped to campus between August 3rd and August 10th 2020 will be ready for pickup at one of three locations depending on where your student resides.
If your student resides in the Martha Ingram Rivers Commons they will pickup their packages at the Commons Dining Center. If you reside at the Carmichael Towers East, you will pick up your packages at the Carmichael Towers East lower level. If you reside at Brandscomb you will pickup your packages at the Student Life Center garage located adjacent to Brandscomb. Once Move-in is concluded, all packages will be picked up at the main Post Office (Station B) in Rand Hall. Packages should NEVER be addressed to student residence halls.
Hours for Package Pickup Locations:
Commons Dining Center: August 17th. 18th. 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Carmichael Towers East: August 17th. 18th. 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Student Life Center Garage: August 17th. 18th. 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Station B Post Office: August 17th. 18th. 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Sunday August 23rd, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Student Life Center Garage: Sunday August 23rd 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Move-In ONLY - Special Instructions for Packages Sent to Fall 2020 First-Year Students
- We recommend shipping packages for Fall 2020 move-in via UPS Ground or FedEx Ground ONLY.
- Package all items securely and add extra protection for fragile items. Use filler for empty space in boxes to avoid breakage or causing the box to collapse. Packages should not weigh more than 50 pounds, unless one single item.
- We recommend shipping only essential items because of the pandemic and shortened semester ending 11-20-20.
- We recommend insuring packages for the value of the contents. UPS and Fed Ex Ground insure each package for up to $100 and provide a tracking number for each package free of charge. Please note the tracking number for each package and bring tracking numbers to package pick-up location for confirmation of delivery.
- Please write “First-Year move-in” on each box, if possible.
- Using the Address Format below, the student’s full given proper name should be clearly marked on all packages. Packages should be numbered (for example, 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3, Etc.) if shipping multiple packages.
- To get your Vanderbilt Mail Services assigned PMB (Private Mailbox) number please visit our website www.vanderbilt.edu/mailservices click on “Mail Forwarding” at the right side of the main page with your VU signon and password, a box will appear. See the “Box assignment” for your 4 digit assigned PMB number, please do not make any changes on this page. Please call 615-322-2934 if you need assistance getting your PMB number.
Address Format Mail and packages should be addressed to the student’s PMB Address as shown below:
Full Given Proper (Student Name)
PMB 35XXXX (X = your assigned 4-digit PMB number)
2301 Vanderbilt Place
Nashville, TN 37235-XXXX (X = your assigned 4-digit PMB number)
Station B Post Office (Rand Hall) the main campus post office is located in the lower level of Rand Hall. Station B offers all USPS post office services, with the exception of passports and money orders.
Normal Business Hours
Post Office Service Window: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Package Window Only: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p. m. during the first 2 weeks
of a new semester only, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday, 8 a.m. to Noon, when classes are in session
Students can pick-up mail with their packages at the Station B Package window, or
at the dedicated Mail Only pick-up window also located at the Station B Package counter. Mail can be picked up M-F 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
- Mail Services accepts the Commodore Card, cash & checks only.
- NEVER SEND CASH IN THE MAIL OR CAMPUS MAIL. We will not be responsible for lost cash.
- Items provided by University Mail Services:
- Insured, international, certified, registered, Express, signature and delivery confirmation services can be purchased Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- In order to ensure that an item reaches the right student in a timely manner, always legibly print his or her full name (not a nickname) as registered at Vanderbilt, as well as the student’s PMB mailbox number, on all mail and packages. This may require that you give extra instructions to other mailers. For example, cellular telephones often are registered in a parent’s name. If a replacement telephone is mailed by an insurer, the address might list the parent’s name instead of the student’s name, thereby delaying delivery. Finally, be sure to include the return address on the envelope. Printed mailing labels are helpful and encouraged.
- When sending packages to campus:
- If the shipper indicates that they do not deliver to a box number, indicate that the item is being shipped to a street address – 2301 Vanderbilt Place. Be sure to include the PMB mailbox # and zip+4 to identify the student. This street address and zip code are unique to the Vanderbilt Station B Post Office.
- Allow adequate time for packages to arrive after ordering or mailing.
- When trying to locate a package, please have the tracking number, carrier used (DHL, USPS, FED-EX, UPS), and other specific information about the package.
- If you have the tracking number of a package you are expecting, you can visit our website www.vanderbilt.edu/mailservices and track the package to see if it has arrived on campus.
- Campus Mailboxes Fees:
- Undergraduate students who live on campus are given a mailbox free of charge.
- Students who have off-campus privileges or study abroad will be charged for a mailbox on a per semester fee ($25.00).
- Students who study abroad are charged the per semester fee to hold the mailbox in their absence.
- Students who have off-campus privileges are charged a box fee. If you do not wish to have a mailbox on campus, you must contact Station B Post Office prior to the second week of the semester to be removed from the mailbox. Mailbox charges will not be removed after the second week of any semester.