International Student Move-In Information
Mail Services processes all incoming mail and packages for students, faculty, staff, and departments. Presented below is information you need to know before mailing or shipping items to campus.
Move-In ONLY - Special Instructions for Packages 2022 International First-Year Students
- 2022 International student move-in is Wednesday August 17th 2022.
- Packages should be shipped so that they arrive before your scheduled move-in date. Packages should not arrive more than 10 days prior to your scheduled move in date, if possible. If you are a first-year student moving in on Wednesday August 17th please label each box with “Early Arrival” written on each package, if possible. You will not receive any packages at the Mail Services tents on Saturday August 20th!
- If you plan to move-in on Saturday August 20th, DO NOT WRITE EARLY ARRIVAL on your packages. Your packages will be at the assigned Mail Services tents for your dorm for pickup between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on Saturday August 20th.
- Package all items securely and add extra protection for fragile items, tape excessively!!. Use filler for empty space in boxes to avoid breakage or causing the box to collapse. Packages should not weigh more than 50 pounds, unless one single item.
- If you would like to purchase items on or near campus instead of shipping, we have a Bookstore, Walmart, Target and a Bed Bath & Beyond close to campus. The Bookstore also carries books, appliances, Vanderbilt Apparel, bedding and other dorm room supplies.
- Using the Address Format below, the student’s full given proper name and the campus address should be clearly marked on all packages. DO NOT ADDRESS PACKAGES TO A RESIDENCE HALL. Packages should be numbered (for example, 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3, Etc) if shipping multiple packages.
- Please use shipping boxes that your student will be able to carry/handle.
- We recommend insuring packages for the value of the contents. UPS and Fed Ex insure each package for up to $100 and provide a tracking number for each package free of charge. Please note the tracking number for each package and bring tracking numbers to package pick-up for confirmation of delivery.
STUDENTS MUST PRESENT A VALID MOBILE CREDENTIALS/VANDERBILT ID TO CLAIM PACKAGES.
Picking Up Packages during Move-in:
Packages shipped to Vanderbilt for first-year international students will be ready for pickup at either the Station B Post Office (Basement of Rand Hall on the main campus) or our Temporary location located in the garage of the Student Life Center (adjoins Branscomb just off Vanderbilt Place).
- Station B and the Temporary Location are open 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday August 17th, 18th, 19th, and Saturday, August 20th, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Sunday August 21st 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Mailing Instructions All undergraduate students’ campus virtual mailboxes are located at Station B Post Office, in the lower level of Rand Hall. Therefore, all mail and packages—whether sent via the United States Postal Service, UPS, DHL, FedEx, or any other carrier—must be sent to your Vanderbilt Post Office address. Mail and packages should never be addressed to students’ residence halls.
Address Format Your 4-digit Private Mail Box Number. Mail and packages should be addressed to the student’s PMB Address as shown below:
PMB 35XXXX (X = your assigned 4-digit PMB number)
2301 Vanderbilt Place
Nashville, TN 37235-XXXX (X = your assigned 4-digit PMB number)
Station B Post Office (Rand Hall) The main campus post office is located in the lower level of Rand Hall. Station B offers all USPS post office services, with the exception of passports and money orders.
Normal Business Hours
Post Office Service Window: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Package Window Only: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p. m. during the first 2 weeks
of a new semester only, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday, 8 a.m. to Noon, when classes are in session
Students can pick-up mail with their packages at the Station B Package window, or come to the dedicated Mail Only pick-up window also located at the Station B Package counter. Mail can be picked up M-F 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
- Mail Services accepts the Commodore Card and credit cards as forms of payment.
- NEVER SEND CASH IN THE MAIL OR CAMPUS MAIL. We will not be responsible for lost cash.
- Items provided by University Mail Services:
- Insured, certified, registered, International, Express, signature and delivery confirmation services can be purchased Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- In order to ensure that an item reaches the right student in a timely manner, always legibly print his or her full name (not a nickname) as registered at Vanderbilt, as well as the student’s PMB mailbox number, on all mail and packages. This may require that you give extra instructions to other mailers. For example, cellular telephones often are registered in a parent’s name. If a replacement telephone is mailed by an insurer, the address might list the parent’s name instead of the student’s name, thereby delaying delivery. Finally, be sure to include the return address on the envelope. Printed mailing labels are helpful and encouraged.
- When sending packages to campus:
- If the shipper indicates that they do not deliver to a box number, indicate that the item is being shipped to a street address – 2301 Vanderbilt Place. Be sure to include the PMB mailbox # and zip+4 to identify the student. This street address and zip code are unique to the Vanderbilt Station B Post Office.
- Allow adequate time for packages to arrive after ordering or mailing.
- When trying to locate a package, please have the tracking number, carrier used (DHL, USPS, FED-EX, UPS), and other specific information about the package.
- If you have the tracking number of a package you are expecting, you can visit our website vanderbilt.edu/mailservices and track the package to see if it has arrived on campus.
- Campus Mailboxes Fees:
- Undergraduate students who live on campus are given a mailbox free of charge.
- Students who have off-campus privileges or study abroad will be charged for a mailbox on a per semester fee ($25.00).
- Students who study abroad are charged the per semester fee to hold the mailbox in their absence.
- Students who have off-campus privileges are charged a box fee. If you do not wish to have a mailbox on campus, you must contact Station B Post Office prior to the second week of the semester to be removed from the mailbox. Mailbox charges will not be removed after the second week of any semester.