What to Bring
- Cell phone
- Standard twin sheets, blankets, mattress cover or pad, bed topper, pillows,
- Shower caddy, towels, bathrobe, shower shoes, and personal items
- Apparel that is appropriate for the season
- Laundry basket, detergent, fabric softener, and spare change for unexpected card reader outages
- Desktop or laptop computer and associated cables (Wireless routers, wireless printers, game consoles, and Google Chromecast are prohibited.)
- Alarm clock
- Folders, pens, paper, stapler, tape, lock for desk, etc.
- Desk lamp (Halogen lamps are prohibited due to fire hazard.)
- Iron and ironing board
- Refrigerator that is less than six years old with no more than 4.0 cubic feet capacity
- Microwave that is 800-watt with an interior capacity of no more than one cubic foot
- Digital-ready TV* with stand (Wall mounting is not permitted.)
- Removable, putty adhesive for mounting posters, etc.
- Tension rods and curtains to hang at windows and closet openings
- Multi-outlet strips with surge protection and minimum ratings of 115 amps and 1800 watts
- Bicycle and “u-lock” (Chain and cable locks are easily cut and do not prevent theft.)
- Cleaning supplies, cloths, air freshener, broom, dust pan
- Snacks and beverages, air-tight food storage containers to keep food fresh and avoid attracting pests
- Plates, bowls, and silverware
These are among the items that will make your residence hall room more like home. Feel free to decorate, but remember that holes in the walls and painting are not permitted, per the Student Handbook.
Due to limited closet space, we suggest bringing clothes appropriate to the season. We also recommend coordinating with your roommate on larger items when possible. Many of the larger item purchases can be made upon your arrival in Nashville
Insure Your Belongings
Vanderbilt strongly recommends that students insure their personal property. Should your agent inquire, all houses have a brick exterior and include sprinklers for fire safety. When insuring your belongings, your agent may ask you for the year the building was built or the capacity. Please feel free to refer to our website or give our office a call with any questions, (615)322-2591.