Skip to main content

Transfer Student Housing

Residential Requirement:

Vanderbilt University is a residential campus for undergraduate students, and the residential experience is understood to be an integral part of a Vanderbilt education. This commitment to residential education is clearly expressed in the University’s residential requirement:

“All unmarried undergraduate students are required to live in residence halls on campus during the academic year, May session, and Summer sessions. Authorization to live elsewhere is granted at the discretion of the Director of Housing Assignments in special situations or when space is unavailable on campus.” (Student Handbook)

 Transfer Student Housing Application:

The Transfer Student Housing Application will be available in the Student Housing Portal between May 1, 2018 and June 1, 2018.  All incoming transfer students are required to submit an application.

Transfer Student Interest Communities:

If you are interested in applying for one of these communities, please complete the Transfer Interest Community Application which will be available in the Housing Portal under the Applications menu.  The application will be available beginning June 1, 2018 and will be available through June 30, 2018.  In order to submit a Transfer Interest Community Application, you must first have submitted the Transfer and Exchange Student Housing Application.  From the applicant pool, students will be randomly selected to fill the spaces in these communities.

Mayfield Transfer Experience: 

As part of the larger Mayfield Experience, participants will reside in a coed Mayfield lodge with eight fellow transfer students. Participants will have the option to either 1) participate in the Transfer Project, which consists of intentional engagements both on and off Vanderbilt’s campus, or 2) create a project as a group. The Mayfield lodge is comprised of ten single bedrooms, a kitchen, a living area and 2 bathroom facilities. Additionally, the lodge will have a resident adviser, who will provide additional support during the transition to Vanderbilt. Participants will enjoy opportunities to connect with other students, the University, and the Nashville area. Residents can also take advantage of resources and tools to excel academically.

Warren College:

One of the first upperclass residential colleges at Vanderbilt, Warren College opened in the fall of 2014, and houses over 300 upperclass students.  Warren College features a live-in residential faculty member, supported by a graduate fellow. Students residing in Warren College will engage in a diverse offering of programs and experiences, ranging from in-hall discussions/dialogues with faculty and staff to college-wide events. Additionally, residents are strongly encouraged to partner with their resident advisers, graduate fellow and residential faculty to propose and execute programming that appeals to their own personal interests. The college is a place for transfer students to bring their passions and interests into a community that actively seeks to engage residents with each other, faculty and staff, and the greater Nashville community.  Students selected for this community will reside in traditional single rooms.

****All students who preference Warren College will be required, as part of the Transfer Community Interest Application, to answer the following question:  Please share some key interests you would like to bring into your Warren College Experience.  Responses can be a max of 300 characters, spaces included.  Longer responses will not be permitted and will result in an error message.  Question responses are not used to determine who is assigned to Warren College, but rather as a tool for the residential faculty as they work to develop programmatic initiatives.****

****Additionally, all students who reside in Warren College are required to participate in the Residential Colleges Meal Plan.  Additional information is available on the Campus Dining website.  All residents will also be charged the Residential College Experience Fee.  This fee of $337.50 per semester will help support programmatic initiatives with the college.****

In addition to the Transfer Interest Communities, the McGill Project continues to accept applications.  McGill offers students an open and inviting environment where they can learn from and interact with faculty and staff members outside the classroom.  A home for students with a wide variety of majors and interests, McGill members consider themselves part of an ongoing campus tradition of free expression and discovery.  Additional information about the McGill Project, along with a link to the application, is available here.  Questions about the McGill Project should be directed to Danny Coradazzi (

Transfer Student Roommate Requests:

Transfer students can make a roommate request on the Transfer Housing Application.  Roommate requests are not guaranteed.  Students should not finalize plans with their requested roommate until receiving their room assignment in early August.

Room Changes:

An on-campus room assignment is for the entire academic year. Requests for room changes based upon roommate incompatibility will be considered upon application of the student residents after they have been in residence for two weeks. Changes prior to that time will be considered only when based upon physical disabilities incurred after the submission of the housing application.

Move In:

As a reminder, transfer student move-in is scheduled for Friday, August 17, 2018.  Students will be provided with a specific afternoon move-in time with their room assignment information.  Room assignment information will be emailed to all incoming transfer students on or before August 10, 2018.  Prior to August 17, we will be preparing the halls for your arrival and as a result, will not be able to accommodate early move-in requests.  Please plan your travel to Nashville accordingly.


Upcoming Events