The Vanderbilt Community Creed
The Community Creed is a student-initiated statement of the values to which the Vanderbilt community aspires. Individuals who join this community embark on a lifelong journey toward greater intellectual enlightenment and personal growth. By fostering the Creed’s principles, we anchor ourselves to the University’s enduring tradition of excellence, united by a common set of values.
- Academic - We strive to pursue intellectual knowledge with curiosity and humility. We engage in a partnership of learning and discovery, where the scholarly exploration of ideas is not only protected, but encouraged.
- Neighborly - We strive to be ambassadors of goodwill within our campus and beyond. We serve, uplift, and empower the members of our global neighborhood.
- Courageous - We strive to be courageous, acting with bold authenticity. We embrace taking risks, challenging assumptions, and persevering in the face of adversity.
- Honest - We strive for honesty in our academic endeavors and relationships with others. We commit to integrity and accountability across all aspects of life - personally, professionally, and academically.
- Open - We strive to openly engage with ideas, experiences, and with one another. We welcome every background and story through celebration of the diversity that enriches our common experience and active participation in constructive conversations about our differences.
- Respectful - We strive to promote a culture of civility grounded in equity, inclusivity, and respect. We hold each other's passions and perspectives in high regard, endeavoring to live a life of personal growth and service.