2020-2021 Resident Adviser Position Description
Information on this page pertains to the 2020-2021 OHARE Student Staff Team.
The Resident Adviser (RA) is a paraprofessional student staff member for the Office of Housing and Residential Experience. RAs assume responsibility for fostering an environment where all students feel supported in the pursuit of their academic and personal development. RAs work closely with our Area Coordinators, Head Residents, and Residential Faculty to create a premier environment where students can learn and grow. RAs accomplish this through our hallmark technique: Meaningful Conversations. RAs will engage in meaningful conversations with their residents, which are intentional opportunities to not only get to know their residents, but also develop specific experiences and activities for their residential populations. RAs host educational and social events, provide mentorship, and serve as a resource to students on their floors. The position requires dedication, flexibility, commitment, and enthusiasm.
- Must be a full-time, degree-seeking student with at least second-year student status at Vanderbilt University at point of application deadline
- Must have at least one semester of experience at Vanderbilt University
- Must have a cumulative 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) by end of Spring 2020
- Must have a United States Bank Account for direct deposit enrollment as a Vanderbilt University requirement
- Must be in good standing according to the Vanderbilt University Student Handbook
- Maintain all qualifications throughout the employment period
- Compliance with all aspects of Resident Adviser position description
Mandatory Information Sessions:
In order to be considered you must have attended a Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 Info Session.
Resident Adviser Recruitment Process Key Dates:
- Application Open: November 13
- Application Close: January 9
- Video Individual Interview Submissions Period: Mid-January
- RA Recruitment Day: February 1
- Notice of Job Status: Mid-February
- Wednesday, August 12: RA Training Begins via Zoom at 9 AM on August 12, 2020and goes through Campus Move-In ending August 23, 2020.
- Thursday, August 13: OHARE Student Staff Move-In Begins at 9 AM
- Friday, August 14: Deadline for RAs to be on campus
- Sunday, November 22: Thanksgiving Break. Break begins after closing the residence halls. Flight arrangements should occur only after 3 PM on the closing day.
- Wednesday, January 20: Student Staff can move back on campus, beginning at 9 AM CST.
- Thursday, January 21: Student Staff Spring 2021 Training via Zoom begins at 9 AM CST through the evening. We ask that staff be physically present in their communities by Thursday, January 21, 2021.
- Friday, January 22 – Sunday, January 24: Student Staff will assist with the Spring 2021 Move-In Process throughout campus (similar to the Fall 2020 key distribution assistance), and staff living in first-year communities will host virtual first-floor meetings.
- Sunday, May 16: Student Staff will assist in the final closure of the residence halls. The entirety of the end of the closing period is April 27-May 16, 2021.
- 7 PM-9 PM time block on Tuesday evenings: All area staff meetings will take place within these times. This time block is also set aside to allow us to provide development opportunities throughout the Academic Year.
- Contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine how the role may affect you specifically.
- Student staff members will receive a single occupancy space within their assigned community. If you are assigned to a community that has suites or apartments this means a single occupancy space within those community types.
- The rate of compensation is approximately $235 paid monthly at the end of each month worked for nine months beginning at the middle of August through the middle of May. Note that both August and May will each be half payments. Note that both August and May will each be partial month payments.
*Any changes to Vanderbilt University campus operations may change compensation for this role.
Email Assistant Director for Selection and Training, Michael Jones, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow for 48 business hours for a response.
A Candidate Information Packet will be provided following the information sessions regarding what you can expect throughout the Resident Adviser Recruitment Process.