Resident Adviser Position Description
The Resident Adviser (RA) is a paraprofessional student staff member for the Office of Housing and Residential Experience. RAs assume responsibility for fostering an environment where all students feel supported in the pursuit of their academic and personal development. RAs work closely with our Area Coordinators, Head Residents, and Residential Faculty to create a premier environment where students can learn and grow. RAs accomplish this through our hallmark technique: Meaningful Conversations. RAs will engage in meaningful conversations with their residents, which are intentional opportunities to not only get to know their residents, but also develop specific experiences and activities for their residential populations. RAs host educational and social events, provide mentorship, and serve as a resource to students on their floors. The position requires dedication, flexibility, commitment, and enthusiasm.
- Must be a full-time, degree-seeking student with at least second-year student status at Vanderbilt University at point of application deadline
- Must have at least one semester of experience at Vanderbilt University
- Must have a cumulative 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) by end of Spring 2020
- Must have a United States Bank Account for direct deposit enrollment as a Vanderbilt University requirement
- Must be in good standing according to the Vanderbilt University Student Handbook
- Maintain all qualifications throughout the employment period
- Compliance with all aspects of Resident Adviser position description
Mandatory Information Sessions:
In order to be considered you must have attended a Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 Info Session.
Resident Adviser Recruitment Process Key Dates:
- Application Open: November 13
- Application Close: January 9
- Video Individual Interview Submissions Period: Mid-January
- RA Recruitment Day: February 1
- Notice of Job Status: Mid-February
- Wednesday, August 12: RA Training Begins via Zoom at 9 AM on August 12, 2020 and goes through Campus Move-In ending August 23, 2020.
- Thursday, August 13: OHARE Student Staff Move-In Begins at 9 AM
- Friday, August 14: Deadline for RAs to be on campus
- Sunday, November 22: Thanksgiving Break. Break begins after closing the residence halls. Flight arrangements should occur only after 3 PM on the closing day.
Please note that Vanderbilt University has updated the undergraduate Fall 2020 academic calendar and edits to the presence of our student staff is updated above. We will continue to hold the Spring 2021 dates below until the university provides an update regarding the undergraduate Spring 2021 academic calendar.
|Winter Training and Spring Opening||5 PM on January 6, 2021: HRs and RAs must arrive to campus by for January Training to occur January 7-8, 2021.|
|OHARE Student Staff Selection Weekend||February 5-6, 2021. Specific details about duties and responsibilities will develop closer to the event|
|Spring Break Closing***||March 6-14, 2021. Break begins after closing the residence halls.|
|Closing and End of the Academic Year||12PM on May 16, 2021. HRs and RAs must stay and assist in the final closure of the residence halls. The entirety of the EOY closing period is April 27-May 16, 2020.|
|Regular Staff Meetings/Department Development Opportunities||7 PM-9 PM time block on Tuesday evenings. All staff meetings will take place within these times. This block of time is also set aside to allow us to provide development opportunities throughout the Academic Year.|
***Alternative Break Participants must receive permission from their supervisor prior to making trip commitment. Prior permission must be obtained in advance from your supervisor to deviate from any of the above
- Contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine how the role may affect you specifically.
- Student staff members will receive a single occupancy space within their assigned community. If you are assigned to a community that has suites or apartments this means a single occupancy space within those community types.
- The rate of compensation is approximately $235 paid monthly at the end of each month for nine months beginning in early August through Commencement weekend in May. Note that both August and May will each be partial month payments.
*Any changes to Vanderbilt University campus operations may change compensation for this role.
Email Assistant Director for Selection and Training, Michael Jones, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow for 48 business hours for a response.
A Candidate Information Packet will be provided following the information sessions regarding what you can expect throughout the Resident Adviser Recruitment Process.