These priorities will help guide practice and inform the goals and action steps within the fraternity sorority community at Vanderbilt University. We will work to be transparent in our progress through both social media and this website, as well as in our communication with students about their role and expectations in moving the community forward with these priorities.
Throughout the 20-21 academic year, the VU Greek community spent significant time reflecting on the purpose and outcomes for our community, giving thoughtful consideration to our past and the changes that need to be made to align with our values and where Vanderbilt University, the country and the world is today. Chapters and councils spent time considering what were the priorities, goals and action steps that we must focus on for our future success. Those priorities, goals, and action steps provide the framework that guides our fraternity and sorority community.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Creating Spaces of Belonging
- Community & Civic Engagement
- Sexual Misconduct Prevention
- Health & Wellness
- Personal & Professional Development
The Vanderbilt Greek Community will demonstrate their commitment to making the member experience more equitable and inclusive.
GOAL 1: Fraternity and sorority members will utilize on campus and inter/national headquarters provided resources to gain a better understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Action Step 1: All new members of the Greek community will participate in a module that will introduce the IgniteVU program and the concepts of diversity, equity, and inclusion and why developing cultural competence is important in fraternity and sorority communities.
- Action Step 2: All new members of the Greek community will engage in four core educational modules that provide foundational cultural competency knowledge, skills, and awareness.
- Action Step 3: All council and chapter officers will engage in leadership development offerings to discuss the ways that they can individually create inclusive and culturally responsive environments.
- Action Step 4: Chapter members will participate in applicable programming offered by their respective national organizations related to diversity, equity and inclusion.
GOAL 2: Fraternity and sorority members will engage in meaningful action that is informed by the education provided by the Student Center for Social Justice and Identity and the Office of Greek Life.
- Action Step 1: As part of the Greek Member Experience Program, all chapters will create and implement a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement and Plan that will outline their overarching goals related to inclusion.
- Action Step 2: Each chapter will have representation in the Greek Inclusivity Alliance; specifically the diversity, equity, and inclusion officer where applicable.
GOAL 3: Fraternity and sorority members will develop a deeper understanding of the historical context of their organizations and our Vanderbilt Greek community and seek to enhance their own learning and understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion as a part of the Greek experience.
- Action Step 1: In partnership with their inter/national organization, every fraternity and sorority will implement curriculum into their aspirant/new member education program highlighting their history in relation to incidents with racism, sexism, and other forms of exclusion including how their organizations have responded to those challenges.
The Vanderbilt Greek community will highlight their commitment to being actively engaged members of the larger Vanderbilt community and seek opportunities to create spaces of belonging for all students.
GOAL 1: Fraternity and sorority members will contribute to creating an environment of inclusion and belonging for all students in the West End Neighborhood.
- Action Step 1: All chapters will engage in West End Neighborhood-wide activities.
- Action Step 2: All chapters will seek opportunities to expand their events and programming to non-Greek members as appropriate
- Action Step 3: All chapters will seek opportunities to collaborate or sponsor activities within Greek facilities in ways that align with inter/national organization guidelines, resident needs, and needs of other organizations as appropriate.
GOAL 2: Fraternity and sorority members will create opportunities for prospective members to connect with active members to explore the possibility of Greek membership.
- Action Step 1: Each Council will provide pre-member engagement experiences for prospective members to get to know active members.
- Action Step 2: Each Council will host pre-recruitment experiences that will provide education to prospective new members about membership criteria.
GOAL 3: Fraternities and sororities will develop dues/fees models that support a financially inclusive Greek member experience.
- Action Step 1: Each council will continue to provide information about financial responsibilities for joining and sustaining membership.
- Action Step 2: Councils and chapters, as able, will continue to provide dues scholarships to members in the fall and spring semester.
- Action Step 3: Each chapter will critically evaluate their budgets to determine what costs can be changed/eliminated in order to reduce financial impact to their individual members.
- Action Step 4: Each chapter will evaluate opportunities to work with alumni or other external stakeholders in fundraising to subsidize the costs of organization membership as necessary.
The Vanderbilt Greek community will continue to build upon its strong commitment to service, philanthropy, and engagement. Educating fraternity and sorority members on the impact of their philanthropy and service will be central to these efforts along with the social justice connection to these initiatives. Members will be actively engaged within greater Vanderbilt so that they can share their time and talents outside their respective organizations and contribute to an overall sense of community on campus.
GOAL 1: Fraternity and sorority members will prioritize civic engagement that centers an understanding of the populations being served in the Nashville community and elsewhere.
- Action Step 1: As part of the Greek Member Experience Program, all chapters will create and implement a Community Impact Plan that will identify a social issue and determine what types of awareness, community service and/or philanthropic programming addressing that issue.
GOAL 2: Fraternity and sorority members will maintain organization-wide and individual connections to the larger Vanderbilt University community through service and campus engagement.
- Action Step 1: All fraternity and sorority members will be encouraged to join at least one additional campus organization, which will be documented as part of the Greek Member Experience Program through the campus profile.
- Action Step 2: The Office of Greek Life will promote campus-wide engagement events to fraternity and sorority members.
The Vanderbilt Greek community will engage in ongoing education about sexual misconduct and develop response mechanisms for members who experience or are accused and/or found responsible of sexual violence.
GOAL 1: In partnership with Project Safe, the Office of Greek Life will coordinate sexual misconduct and prevention education for all new members, active members, officers, and Project Safe liaisons.
- Action Step 1: All potential new members will participate in effective consent, prohibited behaviors, and campus resources programming.
- Action Step 2: All new members will participate in bystander intervention training.
- Action Step 3: All members will participate in bystander intervention tactics training.
- Action Step 4: All chapter and council officers will participate in training with Project Safe and Title IX.
- Action Step 5: All Project Safe liaisons will participate in ongoing training provided by Project Safe.
GOAL 2: The Office of Greek Life will facilitate connections between individual fraternity and sorority members members Project Safe resources.
- Action Step 1: Each chapter will appoint at least one liaison who will serve as a connection between their organization and Project Safe, specially to support members who have been impacted by sexual misconduct.
- Action Step 2: Project Safe liaisons will receive information about Sexual Assault Awareness Month programming to share with members in their organizations to encourage participation.
GOAL 3: Fraternity and sorority members will be knowledgeable about Vanderbilt and their respective inter/national organization’s sexual misconduct prevention policies.
- Action Step 1: Each chapter will review and follow their respective inter/national organization policies related to sexual misconduct as applicable.
- Action Step 2: Each organization will work in conjunction with their inter/national organization and Project Safe to develop accountability measures for students accused and/or found responsible for sexual misconduct.
- Action Step 3: All Project Safe liaisons will review the Vanderbilt Sexual Misconduct Prevention policies each semester.
The Vanderbilt Greek community will continue to engage in education about important topics that impact their health and wellness with a focus on inter/national and Vanderbilt community support resources. Fraternities and sororities will examine their role in providing and participating in low risk environments that seek to do no harm.
GOAL 1: The Office of Greek Life will provide education to all community members regarding risk/harm reduction policies and best practices, particularly related to alcohol/drug use, social events and hazing prevention.
- Action Step 1: All new members of the Greek community will participate in an online module annually about the risks and responsibilities of being a member of the fraternity/sorority community. This will include risk management education on participation in social events, hazing and new member education activities and applicable University policies and Tennessee state laws.
- Action Step 2: The Office of Greek Life will provide training to all chapter and council officers about expectations in planning for and responding to different types of risk.
- Action Step 3: The Office of Greek Life will provide risk management reminders to all community members at least once a semester.
- Action Step 4: The Office of Greek Life will facilitate connections between the Center for Student Wellbeing, DORE Initiative, End Overdose, and other campus resources related to alcohol and drug use education.
GOAL 2: The Office of Greek Life will facilitate connection between individual fraternity and sorority members and mental health support and resources on campus.
- Action Step 1: The Office of Greek Life will provide advisory and financial support for the Greek Community Mental Health Collaborative.
- Action Step 2: The Greek Community Mental Health Collaborative will provide information to all fraternity and sorority members outlining available mental health resources and highlighting the student of concern form.
- Action Step 3: The Office of Greek Life Instagram page will continue to feature weekly mental health tips and resources.
The Vanderbilt Greek community will cultivate a leadership pipeline and support the personal and professional development of all students by connecting them to different educational opportunities and encouraging their engagement with alumni.
GOAL 1: Each fraternity and sorority will have at least one trained chapter alumni advisor working regularly with the chapter leadership to provide support and mentorship to the students.
- Action Step 1: The Office of Greek Life will host chapter advisor training by early August for all advisors with content on diversity, equity, inclusion, incoming student population, advising expectations and campus resources.
- Action Step 2: The Office of Greek Life will work with all national organizations to ensure that every chapter has a minimum of one advisor who has been trained by the national organization in proper policies and educational opportunities offered by the national organization.
- Action Step 3: The governing council advisors will host regular meetings with their respective council’s advisors.
GOAL 2: The Office of Greek Life will promote increased engagement of all chapters with their local alumni base.
- Action Step 1: Officers responsible for alumni engagement will participate in training about how to develop and implement opportunities for active members to connect with alumni of the organization.
- Action Step 2: Chapters will be responsible for attending/hosting a minimum of one event with alumni members as available in the Nashville area.
GOAL 3: All fraternities and sororities will participate in all educational and professional development opportunities offered from their respective national organizations
- Action Step 1: The Office of Greek Life will send the annual report to all appropriate organizational contacts by September 1st and solicit all expectations for the academic year for educational and leadership engagement events.
- Action Step 2: Chapter leaders will share their participation in educational and leadership engagement events hosted by their respective inter/national organizations.
GOAL 4: The Office of Greek Life will promote increased engagement of all chapters in leadership training.
- Action Step 1: The Office of Greek Life will connect fraternity and sorority members to the Office of Student Organizations, Leadership, and Service to learn about and participate in various leadership development opportunities.
- Action Step 2: The Office of Greek Life will provide leadership education to chapter officers about accountability, building community, collaboration, cultivating leadership, and facilitation.
- Action Step 3: The Office of Greek Life will deliver position-specific training to alumni engagement officers, house managers, new member educators, social chairs, recruitment officers, and treasurers.
GOAL 5: The Office of Greek Life will promote fraternity/sorority member engagement in the VandyPass program as part of the Greek Member Experience.
- Action Step 1: All fraternity and sorority members will achieve 300 points per academic year.