IgniteVU is a comprehensive diversity, equity, and inclusion education program offered by the Student Center for Social Justice and Identity and Greek Life for all fraternity and sorority members anchored in the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI). The IDI assessment measures an individual’s or group’s intercultural competence. Once members have completed the IDI, facilitators provide chapter-specific feedback sessions to discuss aggregated results and their implications before providing guidance on ways that organizations can seek to move forward along the Intercultural Development Continuum. Based on these sessions, each organization creates a diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging statement and plan that they are responsible for executing in addition to participating in continuing education.
As a new member of our community, students will:
- Complete and IgniteVU Orientation orienting them to the program and its expectations for participation
- Take the Intercultural Development Inventory
- Participate in four core educational sessions designed to address exploring identities, foundations of cultural competence and social justice, intergroup dialogue, and inclusive decision making
- Participate in executing the chapter's diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging plan
As a returning member to our community, students will:
- Retake the IDI to gauge improvements in cultural competency
- Participate in a chapter-specific IDI Feedback Session
- Assist in the crafting and implementation of the chapter’s specific Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) Plan highlighting the chapter’s overarching goals related to belonging and inclusion centering activities aimed at helping the chapter advance their understanding and application of cultural competency
As a chapter or governing council leader in our community, students will:
- Attend and IgniteVU Officer Training where participants define inclusive leadership, understand the various tools of inclusive leadership, and commit to ongoing reflection and self-education on how inclusive leadership tools can be implemented within their respective chapters and councils.
- Chapter and council DEI officers will participate in the Greek Inclusivity Alliance Program