Code of Ethics
This code serves as a guide for all sorority members, financially inactive members, alumnae, and potential new members (PNMs) to promote honesty, respect, and sisterhood. All concerned are responsible for observing the rules proposed by the Vanderbilt University Panhellenic Council and agreed upon by each member organization, and thereby agree to the following:
In agreement with NPC Unanimous Agreements and Vanderbilt University Panhellenic Guidelines:
- NPC sorority members shall not suggest to any PNM that an invitation or bid is assured from their chapter, nor encourage a PNM to list only one choice on her Preference List.
- The use of alcoholic beverages and the participation of men in membership recruitment and Bid Day activities are prohibited.
It is in accord with the dignity and good standing of sorority members:
- To avoid disparaging remarks about any sorority or non-sorority women.
- To create and encourage friendly relations between sorority and non-sorority women.
- To lay aside competition and strive for respect, mutual trust, and cooperation amongst Greek organizations.
- To prevent negative publicity regarding the Greek community.
- To not exploit personal relationships for recruitment purposes. The best interest of the PNM should be kept in mind at all times.
As sorority women, we will abide by the NPC Unanimous Agreements in addition to the Vanderbilt University Panhellenic Standing Rules. This includes, but is not limited to:
- PNMs may not enter the personal residence (e.g., Branscomb dorm room, Towers suite) of an active sorority member, unless the PNM and the active member are engaging in a romantic relationship.
- Active sorority members may not enter the personal residences (e.g., Commons dorm room) of PNMs, unless the PNM and the active member are engaging in a romantic relationship.
- Sorority members may not spend money on PNMs, nor give or accept gifts from PNMs. This includes but is not limited to food, rides, or photos.
- Off campus meetings between sorority members and PNMs are not permitted, including at locations on the Taste of Nashville Program. VUceptors, Resident Advisors, and Recruitment Counselors may meet off campus as applicable to their roles. If the PNM and the active member are engaging in a romantic relationship, they may meet off campus.
- Intentionally separating a PNM and engaging in inappropriate, intimidating conversation and/or being in a situation where there are 3 or more active members in the same sorority with one PNM is considered hotboxing and is not permitted.
- The use of any social media platform is not to be used between sorority women and PNMs, with the exception of chapter accounts. If the PNM and the active member are engaging in a romantic relationship, they may connect with one another on social media.
- To clarify, one may not be “Facebook friends” with or “following” a PNM unless the Instagram/Twitter/Facebook friendship predates the PNMs acceptance to Vanderbilt. VUceptors and Resident Advisors may use Facebook as applicable to their roles.
- The distribution of alcohol, drugs, and fake IDs is strictly prohibited.
According to the NPC Manual of Information, “NPC believes that normal, social contacts should not be disrupted in the case of long standing friendships by prohibiting all contacts between sorority women and potential members.”
Normal contacts include relatives, friends, neighbors, and co-workers prior to attending Vanderbilt. However, each sorority is charged with the responsibility of seeing that unfair advantage is not taken of such contacts.
It is everyone’s responsibility to observe these rules. Any violation of these policies is considered an infraction and should be reported to the Panhellenic Council.