Life Sciences, Healthcare
- Internships exist throughout many areas of the healthcare field. With the volatility in the healthcare industry, internship opportunities can vary from year to year.
- Internships exist in the areas of healthcare administration, hospital management, pharmaceutical, medical device, consulting, and information technology.
- There is not a consistent recruiting cycle for internship programs in healthcare. Some companies will recruit for interns in the fall while others will not post positions until the spring.
- Networking is very important when identifying internship positions. Word of mouth and connections are key in landing a great position.
- Entry-level healthcare positions typically are not targeted to a specific major. Employers are looking for students with initiative, flexibility & adaptability, and a desire to learn.
- Healthcare is a fast-paced environment that is frequently changing and evolving. There are many opportunities within the industry including in a hospital or pharmaceutical setting or in a vendor/support role.
- If you are interested in healthcare consulting, firms look for smart people with a strong academic record and history of achievement. Concentration or area of study is usually less important because firms want to build teams of individuals with diverse perspectives and schools of thought.
- View our Career Planning Guide & Internship Orientation Guide. Here is an accessible PDF: Internship Orientation Guide.
Industry-Specific Job Boards
The resources below are a combination of general industry information as well as specific job and internship posting sites for this industry.
Recommended Professional Associations
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership-based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Professional association websites can also offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts.
- American College of Healthcare Administrators
- American College of Healthcare Executives
- American Hospital Association
- American Medical Writers Association
- Healthcare Financial Management Association
- National Association of Science Writers
- National Society of Genetic Counselors