This page provides an overview of some popular financial support programs. For a complete list of all financial support that is currently available through the Career Center, visit Handshake and use the Financial Support label under the “Jobs” tab.
Levy Internship Fund
The Career Center is excited to announce that Opportunity Vanderbilt Students can apply for a summer internship funding award of $6000 for un(der) paid internships. Eligible applicants can apply for summer internship funds for either the fall or spring semesters. First-year students through juniors are eligible to apply. Eligible internships include a minimum of 8-week unpaid and underpaid summer internship experiences. Funding can be used for housing costs, meals, transportation costs (to/from internship, commuter travel, etc.), and professional attire.
Timeline for Fall 22 Awards:
- Applications Open: October 1
- Applications Close: November 25
- Application Review Period: November 28 – December 9
- Notify Award Recipients: December 9
- Confirm Summer Internships: by December 17
Timeline for Spring 23 Awards:
- Applications Open: February 1
- Applications Close: March 20
- Application Review Period: March 20 – March 31
- Notify Award Recipients: April 3
- Confirm Summer Internships: by April 14
Find more details and apply on Handshake or watch this presentation by Alayna Hayes, Assistant Provost and Senior Director of the Career Center.
Lovinger Family Internship Fund
Undergraduate students interested in media-related careers are encouraged to apply for a stipend through the Lovinger Family Internship Fund. Recipients will be awarded up to $5,000 to help offset the costs of low or no-pay internships or programs, regardless of location. Several factors determine award amounts, including financial need, location, weekly hours, and anticipated graduation date.
Applicants may apply before receiving an internship offer but must have secured a written request before processing the award by April 7, 2023. A complete application includes uploading a resume via Handshake, an internship description, a 200-300 word essay on what you hope to learn through this experience, and a proposed budget (transportation to the city, housing, daily transit). Applicants must be current Vanderbilt undergraduate students returning full-time for at least one undergraduate semester in the fall after their internship or program.
- Application period: Now – April 7
- Application review: April 8 – 14
- Award notification: By May 1
In addition to uploading the items listed above, applicants must complete this form to be considered for the scholarship.
Vandy in Hollywood Internship Fund
Undergraduate students who have been accepted into the Vandy-in-Hollywood Summer Internship Program are encouraged to apply for a stipend through the ViH Internship Fund. Recipients will be awarded an amount within the range of $1,500 – $3,000 to help offset the costs of low or no-pay internships. Award amounts are determined by several factors, including financial need, location, hours per week, and anticipated graduation date.
Applicants may apply prior to receiving an internship offer but must have secured an offer in writing by May 1 before awards will be processed. A complete application includes a resume via Handshake, an internship description (if accepted), a 100–200 word essay on what you hope to learn through this experience, and the proposed budget (transportation to the city, housing, daily transit). Please put all of your answers into a word document and upload it as an additional document.
Applicants must be current Vanderbilt undergraduate students returning full-time for at least one undergraduate semester in the fall after their internship.
- Application period: February 1 – April 22
- Application review: April 22 – 29
- Award notification: May 2
Commodore Closet for Professional Attire
Are you in need of professional attire for an upcoming interview, Career Fair, or other professional development experience? Apply for the Commodore Closet Program!
Do I qualify for Commodore Closet?
- Am I a current undergraduate or graduate student?
- Do I qualify for Financial Aid through the Office of Student Financial Services?
- Selected students will receive a $350 Macy’s Gift Card
- Gift cards may only be used to purchase professional attire
- Students will be required to submit all receipts to the Career Center
- Students will be required to write a thank you note to the donor of Commodore Closet
- Due to limited funding, not all applicants will receive funding
- Log on to Handshake and search for “Commodore Closet Application” under the “Jobs” section. You can also view the application here.
- Submit your resume via the Handshake posting
- Complete the form listed in the Handshake posting
- Please submit by Monday, March 6th to qualify
- Selected candidates will receive their gift cards by Friday, March 10th
Lyft RideShare Assistance for Commuting to Internship
Do you need help traveling to and from your Nashville internship? The Career Center is now offering rideshare assistance through Lyft.
Do I qualify for a Lyft Stipend?
- Am I a full-time Vanderbilt student in good academic standing?
- Have I secured an internship? Applicants will submit an offer and/or acceptance letter on Handshake.
- Is my internship within 20 miles of Vanderbilt? Students will submit the internship location on their application.
- Students are limited to 18 rides per month.
- Rides must be between 5 am and 7 pm.
- If selected, students will: attend a financial literacy workshop, visit the Professional Headshot Photo Booth located in the SLC, 2nd floor, and take a pre and post-internship survey.
- Complete the online form (found within the Handshake posting), submit your resume on Handshake, and submit your internship offer letter on Handshake (#7458841).
- To qualify for the program, students must have a Lyft account (and users must have payment on file).