Global & Public Health
- An internship will give you the chance to gain experience in the public health sector, integrating classroom knowledge with community-based practice.
- Internships will give you the opportunity to learn more about organization and policy issues, funding sources, research, administration, and program activities.
- Do not get discouraged if you are not successful in securing a formal summer internship. Experience gained through volunteering, study abroad, or working in research all provide valuable skills.
- Entry-level public health positions may be open to a variety of majors within the sciences as well as MHS & HOD.
- Many students interested in public health frequently pursue an MPH after gaining initial experience.
- There are many opportunities within the industry including in a government agency, a non-profit organization, a community-based organization, or a hospital or academic environment.
- View our Career Planning Guide & Internship Orientation Guide. Here is an accessible PDF: Internship Orientation Guide.
Industry-Specific Job Boards
The resources below are a combination of general industry information as well as specific job and internship posting sites for this industry.
Recommended Professional Associations
A professional association is an organization of people who have similar career interests. These membership-based organizations often offer a reduced rate for students that allow access to the many resources they provide. Professional association websites can also offer job/internship databases as well as opportunities to find mentors or other contacts.
- American Public Health Association
- Children’s Environmental Health Network
- National Environmental Health Association
- Public Health Foundation
- Society for Public Health Education
- World Health Organization
Company & Industry Research
- Healthcare Professionals Meetups
- LinkedIn – Vanderbilt Career Insights Page
- Mango Connects
- Professional Women in Healthcare
- Timmy Global Health
- Volunteers Around the World