Skip to main content

For Parents

Student Care Coordination (SCC)

All initial requests for services related to mental health and wellbeing, including requests for therapy and medication management, are managed through Student Care Coordination. The Care Coordinators at SCC will work with incoming students to determine their support needs and refer them to the best resources (including the University Counseling Center) as appropriate.


An aspect of college life that impacts all students and families is the shift in responsibility once your student is legally an adult. Your student has the right to confidential care. We welcome your input about your student and ask that you understand we are not able to provide information to you as parents without the written consent of your student. This can only be waived in the case of an emergency in which safety is an issue.

Steps for Incoming Students & Parents

As you prepare for your student’s transition to university life, please begin to consider the resources your student may need while at Vanderbilt.

  • Incoming Students with a history of mental health care prior to matriculation, or who are interested in learning more about their healthcare resources, are encouraged to initiate contact with Student Care Coordination (SCC) by calling (615) 343-WELL (9355). For those students seeking medication management for an existing diagnosis of ADHD, please carefully read about the UCC’s Medication Management services.
    • By contacting SCC prior to the start of the school year, your student will learn the most appropriate way to transition their care, become familiar with their wellness resources, and be able to take full advantage of the myriad support services available to them. It will also allow you and your student to identify how you would like to interface as a family in exploring mental health options. Students should not fill out a Student Care Coordination Intake Form until they arrive to campus.
  • Parents of incoming students may also call the SCC at (615) 343-WELL (9355) or send an email to either before or during the school year to learn more about the resources available to your student. Parents should not fill out a Student Care Coordination Intake Form on behalf of their student.
  • Incoming students and parents are also encouraged to visit Vanderbilt’s office of Student Access Services for information about applying to receive accommodations for a disability. 

    This page was last updated July 2023