writeELC for Undergraduates
writeELC offers you an individualized opportunity to enhance your experience at Vanderbilt University by practicing writing and academic language skills that are essential for your success in your undergraduate studies. Content in writeELC is organized around typical writing tasks at Vanderbilt. In addition, you will be able to schedule individual meetings with the instructor for personalized feedback.
writeELC is cost free, but space is limited.
Spring 2024 registration will begin in early December. Sign up here!
Based on the student's needs, activities may include:
- honing research skills (e.g., finding and evaluating sources, exploring when and how to quote, paraphrase, and summarize)
- writing a reaction or response paper
- planning a critique and/or argument
- outlining a literature review
- composing professional emails
- drafting resume and cover letters
- learning about, planning, and reviewing other texts for specific contexts (e.g., First Year Writing Seminar, Immersion)
The focus of the course is on:
- adapting to the U.S. academic writing style
- building academic vocabulary related to your courses
- introducing helpful language and writing tools
- developing revision strategies
- improving clarity and flow
- analyzing the writing process to improve efficiency
- building research skills
- writing emails, resumes, and cover letters that are appropriate for the U.S. context
For information regarding assessment and enrollment, please contact:
For information regarding eligibility, please contact: