1-to-1 Writing Consultations
The English Language Center (ELC) offers 1-to-1 Writing Consultations (WC) that are designed to meet the writing needs of Vanderbilt University students, faculty, and scholars who use English as an additional language. Employees of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) are not eligible for WC sessions.
Due to the varied cultural and linguistic backgrounds of the university’s students, faculty, and scholars, their abilities and needs in accomplishing course writing requirements may vary significantly from those of native English-speaking students. The instructors and writing consultants at the ELC are well acquainted with typical writing styles of non-native speakers of English. Consultations are between participants and consultants in order to determine the individual’s most pressing needs. WC sessions provide constructive feedback to help writers develop strategies for successful writing in the academic context.
All ELC 1-to-1 Speaking, Pronunciation, and Writing Consultations are online to help support you for the rest of the semester.
The day of your appointment, your consultant will email you a Zoom meeting invitation with instructions. Learn how Zoom meeting invitations work:
- English: Joining a Meeting
- 简体中文: 我如何加入会议?
- 繁体中文: 我如何加入會議?
- 日本語: ミーティングに参加するにはどうすればよいですか？
- Español: ¿Cómo me uno a una reunión?
- Français: Comment rejoindre une réunion?
- Deutsch: Wie nehme ich an einem Meeting teil?
- Portuguese: Como eu entro em uma reunião?
- Русский: Как войти в конференцию?
Undergraduate, Graduate, and Professional students may schedule up to three (3) consultations per week.
Please note: writing consultations are offered only during Fall and Spring semesters (closed during Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, Spring Break, and Summer Break).
WC Appointments should be made at least 24 hours in advance whenever possible. Any appointment requested after 4:30pm the day before the consultation will be rescheduled.
Before You Arrive
Students who plan to participate in these sessions are REQUIRED to:
- STEP 1: Bring a specific writing assignment or project with them, along with specific questions/concerns
- STEP 2: Be aware of required or the preferred writers' style manual, if applicable (APA, MLA, and bring a copy if possible)
- STEP 3: Read 1-to-1 Writing Consultation Policies
- STEP 4: Prior to the 1-to-1 Writing Consultation, it is the student-client’s responsibility to determine whether or not getting assistance is permitted on a given assignment/project. The ELC is not responsible if the student-client violates such a policy
1-to-1 Writing Consultation sessions focus on language rather than content. If you find yourself having trouble organizing and presenting your ideas in writing, contact the Writing Studio to schedule a 1-to-1 consultation there. Seeking assistance at the Writing Studio does not prevent you from also making a 1-to-1 Writing Consultation appointment at the ELC, where we are happy to work with you on language-related problems in writing, such as grammar, punctuation, word choice, and word order. However, please remember: the WC is not an editing service. For a WC session, the student must be present in person.
For more information about 1-to-1 Writing Consultations, contact: