English Language Center (ELC) employees regularly contribute to research conferences, professional development, and the community at Vanderbilt University and beyond.
Publications and Conference Presentations/Participation
- Adam Steffanick and Susan M. Barone. A web application for developing pedagogical resources from a corpus. Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Computer-Assisted Language Learning-Interest Section (CALL-IS) Electronic Village Events TESOL Electronic Village Developers Showcase, Denver, CO (April, 2020 postponed due to Coronavirus).
- Adam Steffanick and Susan M. Barone. Developing pedagogical resources using a local EAL student-writing corpus. Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Computer-Assisted Language Learning-Interest Section (CALL-IS) Electronic Village Events Technology Fairs, Denver, CO (April, 2020 postponed due to Coronavirus).
- Summer Dickinson. (2020). Points of Departure: Rethinking Student Source Use and Writing Studies Research Methods, Technical Communication Quarterly 29(1), pp. 107–109. DOI: 10.1080/10572252.2019.1613335
- Stephanie Gollobin. (2020). Writing and Identity: Promoting Critical Discourse Amidst Double Consciousness, Writing & Pedagogy 11(3), pp. 413–431. DOI: 10.1558/wap.35316
- Romy Frank. GoogleDocs is my canvas: Blending old and new ways to support ESL students and faculty in oral communication sessions. International Writing Centers Association (IWCA), Columbus, OH (October, 2019).
- Stephanie Gollobin. Rewind, redesign, and reset: Making workshops tick.. Consortium on Graduate Communication, George Mason University (June, 2019).
- Susan M. Barone and Yuenqi Wang. Intercultural competency: A missing link in leadership development. Workshop on Intercultural Skills Enhancement (WISE), Winston-Salem, NC (February, 2019).
- Adam Steffanick. Writing on campus: Designing a repository of student writing to address the needs of our English as an Additional Language Writers. Writing Research Without Walls: A Symposium for Interdisciplinary Writing and Collaboration, Purdue University (October, 2018)
- Adam Steffanick and Susan M. Barone. Leveraging our corpus to inform pedagogy: Constructing a corpus of student writing from our university to develop individualized pedagogical resources. American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL), Chicago, IL (March, 2018).
- Lisa Russell-Pinson and Susan M. Barone. The Complexity of Supporting Graduate-Level Learners: ESL Professionals in Whitchurch’s Third Space. American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL), Chicago, IL (March, 2018).
- Susan M. Barone. People, Positions in International Education: How identities impact institutional structure. Roundtable. Association of International Education Administrators (AIEA), Washington, DC (February, 2018).
- Susan M. Barone and Carrie Cargile. L2 Writing Research Literature: A Reference for Novice Instructors of ELLs. Poster. ACTFL, Nashville, TN (November, 2017).
- Jim Cracraft. International Writing Centers Association Conference, Chicago, IL (November, 2017).
- Susan M. Barone. Medical interactions and patient identity.. Immersion in Emergency Care Research Course. Offered by Vanderbilt University Center for Medicine, Health, and Society in the College of Arts and Science in collaboration between Vanderbilt University faculty and Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC). Invited by Dr. Alan Storrow (September 2017). Also presented at VUMC Psychological and Counseling Center (December, 2017).
- Debra S. Lee. Panel Member, Consortium on Graduate Communication Summer Institute 2017, Monterey, CA. Providing support for professional Master’s students.
- Susan M. Barone. CASA Board of Directors site visits to CASA Santiago and CASA Buenos Aires (April, 2017).
- Stephanie Ventura. Conversations about Identity: Promoting Critical Dialogue Amidst Double Consciousness. TESOL International Convention and English Language Expo, Seattle, WA (March, 2017).
- Susan M. Barone. DIS International Educators Workshop, Stockholm, Sweden (Spring, 2017).
- Jim Cracraft. (2017). This Is an Important Announcement! In J. L. Arnold & E. Herrick (Eds.), New Ways in Teaching With Music (New Ways in TESOL, pp. 102–104). Alexandria, VA: TESOL Press.
- Romy Frank and Debra S. Lee. Lawyer v. Non-lawyer: Expert Negotiations in Program Transformation. Symposium on Second Language Writing, Tempe, AZ (October, 2016).
- Stephanie Ventura. Using Short Fiction to Discover Critical Pathways to Academic Content. SETESOL Regional Conference, Lexington, KY (October, 2016).
- Susan M. Barone with Lisa Russell-Pinson. It Takes a University: Marshaling Cross-Campus Expertise in Support of L2 Graduate-Level Writers. Symposium on Second Language Writing (SSLW). Tempe, AZ (October, 2016). Also presented at Consortium on Graduate Communication meeting con-current with SSLW.
- Susan M. Barone. Second Language Research Forum, Columbia University (September, 2016).
- Carrie Cargile. Legal Writing Institute Biennial Conference, Portland, OR (July, 2016).
- Susan M. Barone. English for Academic Purposes. US-China Center, Sun Yat-sen University & South China Normal University (May, 2016).
- Susan M. Barone, Debra S. Lee, Carrie Cargile and, Romy Frank. English for Academic Purposes. Webinar. Languages without Borders Program, Brazilian Federal Ministry of Education (May, 2016).
The Legacy of Lee Martin
By Susan M. Barone — 2/23/2015
As we launch this new section of our website, it seems only appropriate to make the first entry a farewell to the individual who started this language center in 1978. Read more…