1-to-1 Pronunciation Consultations
The English Language Center (ELC) offers 1-to-1 Pronunciation Consultations (PC) that are designed to meet the pronunciation needs of Vanderbilt University students, faculty, and scholars who use English as an additional language (EAL). Employees of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) are not eligible for PC sessions.
Due to the varied cultural and linguistic backgrounds of the university’s students, faculty, and scholars, their abilities and needs in accomplishing course speaking requirements may vary significantly from those of native English-speaking students. The instructors and pronunciation consultants at the ELC are well acquainted with the typical needs of EAL speakers. Consultations are between participants and consultants in order to determine the individual’s most pressing needs. PC sessions provide constructive feedback to help speakers work toward their pronunciation goals for speaking in the academic context.
All ELC 1-to-1 Speaking, Pronunciation, and Writing Consultations are online to help support you for the rest of the semester.
The day of your appointment, your consultant will email you a Zoom meeting invitation with instructions. Learn how Zoom meeting invitations work:
- English: Joining a Meeting
- 简体中文: 我如何加入会议?
- 繁体中文: 我如何加入會議?
- 日本語: ミーティングに参加するにはどうすればよいですか？
- Español: ¿Cómo me uno a una reunión?
- Français: Comment rejoindre une réunion?
- Deutsch: Wie nehme ich an einem Meeting teil?
- Portuguese: Como eu entro em uma reunião?
- Русский: Как войти в конференцию?
Undergraduate, Graduate, and Professional students may schedule up to three (3) consultations per week.
Please note: pronunciation consultations are offered only during Fall and Spring semesters (closed during Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, Spring Break, and Summer Break).
PC Appointments should be scheduled by 24 hours in advance whenever possible. Any appointment requested after 4:30pm the day before the consultation will be rescheduled.
Before You Arrive
Students who plan to participate in these sessions are REQUIRED to:
- STEP 1: Have a particular pronunciation need and context in mind: bring with you an assignment, project, or specific topic that you wish to focus on.
- STEP 2: Prior to the 1-to-1 Pronunciation Consultation, it is the student-client’s responsibility to determine whether or not getting assistance is permitted on a given assignment/project. The ELC is not responsible if the student-client violates such a policy.
1-to-1 Pronunciation Consultation sessions focus on language issues in academic spoken English.
For more information about 1-to-1 Pronunciation Consultations, contact: