English for Academics and Professionals (EAP)
The English for Academics and Professionals (EAP) program offers courses in Academic Writing, Academic Speaking, and Pronunciation. EAP courses at the English Language Center (ELC) support academic written and oral communication for students who use English as an Additional Language (EAL). Students meet both as a group and individually with an instructor to work on their specific language needs.
Our EAP classes are typically scheduled Mondays and Wednesday OR Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00–10:30pm OR 4:15–5:45pm. However, the schedule may differ. See the registration form (below) for the semester’s specific class offering and schedule.
NOTE: Fall 2022 registration opens in early August 2022. Sign up here.
Sign up for a class on the Registration Form (Available August 1)
After you have selected a course,
- The survey may close before the testing date depending on the number of applicants.
- Placement into course sections is based on 1) first-come, first-served and 2) schedule availability.
- Only one course may be selected; fill out the survey again for extra classes.
- Make a note of the time and date of the section you selected as well as the assessment date and time. You will not be able to re-enter the survey after you submit it.
- Wait to receive an e-mail message regarding your testing schedule.
- Wait to receive an e-mail message regarding confirmation of your placement into an ELC course.
- meet twice per week for 90 minutes each over approximately 12 weeks (24 sessions)
- require up to 2 hours of homework per week
Students complete a language assessment, which includes a writing sample for Academic Writing and a short interview for Academic Speaking and/or Pronunciation. The instructor uses these assessments to better understand each student’s language needs to know which areas to focus on during the course.
Fall 2022 Assessment:
- Assessments take place from August 17 to 19 (Select day and time on Registration Form).
- All assessments take place online.
The ELC offers one cost-free English-language course each Fall and Spring semester to Vanderbilt individuals who use English as an Additional Language (EAL) who are undergraduate, graduate, and professional students or VU faculty, staff, and scholars.*
Course Costs for Eligible VU Community Members
- 1st course per semester: $0
- 2nd course per semester: By permission only
- 3rd course per semester: By permission only
Course Costs for VUMC Employees
Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) employees may be required to present official Vanderbilt identification and letters of appointment.
- $960 per course
Auditing is not available.
*Priority enrollment is given to matriculated, full-time students.
Since ELC courses are funded for VU community members, their continuation is dependent upon participant completion of each course. Therefore, at least 75% attendance and completion of the course is required. If you register for a course but receive a failing grade due to insufficient attendance, you may not be able to register for future EAP courses, and departments will be notified.
After registration, your teacher will contact you with information about your textbook. You can purchase ELC textbooks at the Vanderbilt University Bookstore.
For information regarding assessment and enrollment, please contact:
For information regarding eligibility, please contact: