Student Housing

Vanderbilt provides its students with safe, secure, comfortable, accessible and healthy housing for its residents. These communities foster learning, personal development, academic achievement and successful transitions for new students and for graduates.


Residential Requirement

Vanderbilt University is a residential campus for undergraduate students, and the residential experience is understood to be an integral part of a Vanderbilt education. This commitment to residential experience is clearly expressed in the university’s residential requirement. 

Housing Applications

Applying for housing is easy. Visit the Housing website and log into the Housing Portal with your VUNetID. Once logged in, click on the Applications menu, and complete the Housing Application.  

  • First-Year Student Housing Application will open on April 8 and is due June 1
  • Transfer and Exchange Student Housing Application will open on May 1 and is due June 15


We match students with consideration of their responses to the lifestyle questions included in the housing application available on April 8, 2024. However, students are permitted to submit roommate requests. Each student in the pair must request the other for the request to be considered. The deadline to submit roommate requests is June 15. Please note we cannot guarantee that roommate requests will be honored. 

Residence Halls

All first-year students are randomly assigned to one of the 10 first-year houses on The Martha Rivers Ingram Commons. While most spaces are double rooms, several of the houses contain triple rooms and a limited number of single rooms.  

Typically, transfer students are assigned to traditional double rooms or vacancies in suites/apartments on main campus with continuing upper-division students, including resident advisers (RAs). Due to limited inventory, traditional single rooms and residential college spaces will likely not be available. All spaces provide transfer and exchange students with opportunities to interact with current upper-division students. 

More information about the residence halls, including room tours, amenities, and furnishings, can be found on the housing website.  

Zeppos College Hall exteriors
Zeppos College exterior

Request for Housing Accommodations

If you are seeking accessible housing accommodations for the 2024-25 academic year due to a physical, psychological or other disability-related limitation you should contact Student Access (SA) before June 1, 2024.  

The SA website provides information about reasonable accommodations, documentation guidelines and other information about the office.  

All students who request accessible housing accommodation due to a disability-related limitation must submit documentation from their diagnosing physician to SA. Vanderbilt Housing cannot directly accept any documentation or housing requests related to the student’s disability. If SA determines that housing accommodation is needed for access, they will notify Vanderbilt Housing.  The office will make every effort to find an appropriate and reasonable assignment as recommended by SA. 

Student Renter’s Insurance Requirement

You are required to maintain adequate property and liability insurance. More information regarding the student renter’s insurance requirement is on the housing website. 

The university is not liable for damage to property or injuries arising out of a resident’s occupancy of their assigned rooms, except if such damage or injury results from negligent acts or omissions by the university.  

More Info

You can find more information on first-year student housing or transfer and exchange student housing on the housing website.