Hey undergraduate scientists and mathematicians, come learn with us this summer!
In Summer 2021, Tutoring Services will again offer online tutoring support (via Zoom) during Summer Sessions 1 and 2 beginning June 8 and ending August 13. All Tutoring Services programs are free and open to all Vanderbilt students.
To make an appointment, select the “Schedule an Appointment” button on our homepage.
Overview of Our Summer Tutoring Options
Whether you are looking to work 1-on-1 with a tutor or looking to study in a group with peers this summer, Tutoring Services has a number of options for you to connect, learn, and succeed in your summer STEM coursework.
- Summer Hours and Courses
- 1-on-1 Tutoring Sessions and Weekly Learning Roundtables
- Tutor Match
- Appointment Advice and Noteworthy Options
- Appointment Policies for Summer 2021
Summer Hours and Courses
Tutoring Services will be open to offer summer STEM support June 8 – August 13, 2021 from 1:00pm – 10:00pm, central standard time. All tutoring sessions will be held via remote video conference using the Vanderbilt Zoom platform.
Our administrative business hours are 8:30 am – 5:00 pm CDT, Monday-Friday, and we can be reaching via phone at 615-343-2225 or via email at email@example.com.
Tutoring Services will be closed on Sunday, July 4 for the Independence Holiday and on Monday, July 5 for the (observed) holiday, in accordance with the University Holiday Schedule. No Roundtables will be held on Sunday, July 4. All Tutor Match sessions occurring on Sunday or Monday may be requested to be moved to a different day. Please email Dr. Erickson for assistance.
Courses available for tutoring collaboration:
- CHEM 1601 & 1601 (General Chemistry I & II)
- CHEM 2221 & 2222 (Organic Chemistry I & II)
- PHYS 1501 & 1502 (Physics for the Life Sciences I & II)
- PHYS 1601 & 1602 (General Physics I & II)
- MATH 1100 (Survey of Calculus)
- MATH 1200 & 1201 (Single Variable Calculus)
- MATH 1300 & 1301 (Accelerated Single Variable Calculus)
- MATH 2300 (Multivariable Calculus)
- MATH 2410 (Methods of Linear Algebra)
- MATH 2420 (Methods of Ordinary Differential Equations)
1-on-1 Tutoring Sessions
Our individual sessions allow you 50 minutes to work collaboratively with your tutor to address your questions and concerns, while building your confidence and independent mastery of the material.
Our Guide to Online Scheduling provides a complete overview of booking an appointment.
Weekly Learning Roundtables
Join us for these 50-minute group learning support sessions to study alongside your peers in an online video conference of up to 10 student members. A tutor will be on hand during each Roundtable to assist students working to answer questions, clarify course content, and learn together.
Roundtables available for tutoring collaboration:
Summer Session 1
- CHEM 1601 (General Chemistry I) – Sundays 8:00 – 9:00 pm
- CHEM 2221 (Organic Chemistry I) – Sundays 6:00 – 7:00 pm
- MATH 1200 & 1300 (Single Variable Calculus I & Accelerated Single Variable Calculus I) – Sundays 6:00 – 7:00 pm
- MATH 1301 (Accelerated Single Variable Calculus II) – Sundays 8:00 – 9:00 pm
Don’t see your course listed in the Roundtables offered? Please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options.
Summer Tutor Match
WHY REQUEST A TUTOR MATCH?
As a student, requesting a Tutor Match gives you (or you and a fellow student in the same course) the opportunity to set regularly occurring, weekly sessions with a peer tutor for the full semester.
Tutor Matches provide 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 support. Students are matched with a tutor based on the courses students are enrolled in pending tutor availability. Students and tutors are expected to meet regularly over the course of the spring semester.
Tutor Match was piloted in Summer 2020 and continued in Spring 2021. It has proven to be an in-demand option for Tutoring Services. If you would like to make a Tutor Match, we encourage you to sign up early as spaces are limited.
How do I request a TUTOR MATCH?
- Reserve an individual appointment with a tutor for the relevant course using WCOnline, our online scheduling platform.
- Make note of your tutor’s name, time, and date of your session included in the confirmation email.
- Complete this online Tutor Match request form.
If have you already confirmed your first individual tutoring session, we will try to maintain that Tutor Match request with the original tutor.
If you were not able to confirm your first individual tutoring session, please use our WCOnline scheduling platform to list the name, time, and date of the tutor(s) that fit your schedule. We will do our best to set up a Tutor Match, pending availability.
If you are interested in a Paired Tutor Match, please click fill out the online Tutor Match request form AND email Dr. Erickson with help adding your friend. Be sure to read through our Pair Appointment instructions here.
Please be aware that we will attempt to fill all requests while availability allows.
deadlines for TUTOR MATCH?
Any student enrolled in Summer Sessions 1 and/or 2 are allowed and encouraged to make a Tutor Match request by following the steps above.
Matches for students in Summer Session 1 will be made beginning on Sunday, June 6, 2021, and will continue until spaces are filled. Any student continuing from Summer Session 1 to 2 may elect to continue their Tutor Match with their tutor.
Matches for students in Summer Session 2 will be made beginning on Sunday, July 11, 2021, and will continue until spaces are filled.
Questions about Tutor Match?
Please contact Dr. Miriam Erickson at email@example.com with any questions about requesting a session for Tutor Match.
Appointment Policies for Summer 2021
Most Tutoring Services appointment policies remain the same over the summer, but below we highlight several notable changes of which you should be aware.
Appointment Advice and Noteworthy Options
- Our Guide to Online Scheduling provides a complete overview of booking an appointment.
- Remember to filter our schedule by course to find the right tutor or group fast.
- Plan ahead because appointments fill up quickly: Remember you can schedule 7 days in advance during summer.
- Our schedule’s waiting list feature can help when you can’t find an opening. Use it to get notified when someone else cancels an appointment at a particular time or with a particular tutor.
- Consider requesting a Pair Appointment or requesting a Summer Tutor Match.
Appointments Per Day and Week
Summer tutoring appointments (1-on-1s and roundtables) are subject to the following limitations:
- Appointments can be made up to 7 days in advance.
- You are limited to 1 appointment (full-length or roundtable) per day.
- You are limited to 2 appointments (full-length or roundtable) per week, but also to only 1 “active appointment” at a time, which means each week a second appointment can only be scheduled after you have held your first.*
*More about the “active appointment” limit: The “active appointment” limit means that if you have already reserved a first appointment for a Wednesday at 3:00 PM, you will not be able to schedule an appointment for Thursday until after your first session is finished at 4:00 PM on Wednesday.
All summer Tutor Match appointments are scheduled for regularly occurring, weekly sessions with a peer tutor for the full semester. Clients are allowed to book a second appointment with the same or different tutor, or a Roundtable, in order to achieve the allowance of 2 appointments per week.
If you experience difficulty signing up for your second appointment due to the “active meeting” status from your scheduled Tutor Match session, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For full-length 1-on-1s and Roundtables, the window for cancelling appointments is up to one minute prior to the scheduled session. This allows space for last minute emergencies. Therefore, we ask that you keep in mind our tutors’ time and other students’ need for sessions, and should you know that you cannot make your scheduled tutoring session, you cancel promptly.
For Tutor Match, the window for cancelling appointments is up to one minute prior to the scheduled session. However, if you cancel your Tutor Match appointment twice, we contact you and ask to reconsider your Tutor Match scheduling in order to allow the session space be available for other students.
Late Cancellations, Missed Appointments, and “No Show” Policy
To cancel an appointment yourself (1-on-1, Roundtable, or Tutor Match), simply sign into the Tutoring Services scheduler, select your yellow appointment block, and then select cancel at the bottom of the appointment window.
- Any cancellation made within one minute prior to the start of a given appointment is allowed.
- Any cancellation made at the start or after the start of the given appointment will be marked as a no-show.
- Any appointment where the client is not present in the online meeting space by :10 past the hour will be marked as a no-show.
After 2 no-shows between June 8 – August 13, 2021, a client will have their account disabled and will not be able to book further appointments. These booking, cancellation, and no-show policies are in place as a courtesy to our tutors and to other clients who would like to book an appointment.