Weekly Learning Roundtables
During the 2023-2024 academic year, all tutoring Roundtables will be held in-person.
Weekly Learning Roundtables are one of our many types of group learning support opportunities. Our Roundtables will open on Sunday, September 3, 2023 and remain open on their weekly schedule for the full semester, closing for any university holidays. If there is an introductory or intermediate STEM course you’re interested in having Tutoring Services host for a Roundtable session, and you have three or more students interested in attending, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will see about helping facilitate.
Weekly Learning Roundtables Fall 2023
- Sundays at 1:00 – CHEM 1601 Roundtable w/ Ysabel (in-person, 1801 Edgehill, FirstVU members only)
- Sundays at 7:00 – CHEM 1601 Roundtable w/ Mike (in-person, Commons Fireside Lounge)
- Mondays at 7:00 – CHEM 1601 Roundtable w/ Nathan (in-person, Commons Fireside Lounge)
- Sundays at 8:00 – ECON 1010 Roundtable w/ Parker (in-person, 1801 Edgehill)
- Sundays at 6:00 – MATH 1200 Roundtable w/ Demos (in-person, 1801 Edgehill)
- Sundays at 7:00 – MATH 1300 Roundtable w/ Isaiah (in-person, 1801 Edgehill)
Additional Roundtables in Fall 2023
In advance of the CHEM 1601 exams, Tutoring Services always adds in additional CHEM 1601 Weekly Learning Roundtables. Check back here for times:
- Tuesday, September 19, 4:00 – 5:00 with Sophia (CHEM 1601 Roundtable) K.C. Potter Center
- Wednesday, September 20, 4:00 – 5:00 with Sadie (CHEM 1601 Roundtable) 1801 Edgehill, Rm 106B
- Wednesday, September 20, 8:00 – 10:00 with Joel (CHEM 1601 Roundtable + Drop-In Session) Commons
- Thursday, October 12, 2:00 – 3:00 with Sophia (CHEM 1601 Roundtable) 1801 Edgehill, Rm 122)
- Wednesday, November 15, 8:00 – 10:00 with Joel (CHEM 1601 Roundtable + Drop-In Session) Commons
- Wednesday, December 14, 8:00 – 10:00 with Joel (CHEM 1601 Roundtable + Drop-In Session) Commons
Do you have an additional Weekly Learning Roundtable you’d like to see added to our schedule? We may be able to add it if demand requires. Please email us at email@example.com to put in your request for a specific course.
- MATH 1100 Weekly Learning Roundtable interest form. Are you interested in joining a tutor for a group facilitated hour in MATH 1100? We are currently fielding interest for creating this group. Please email Dr. Erickson and indicate your potential interest in this group.
All regularly scheduled Commons Fireside Lounge CHEM 1601 Roundtables are still available for students to join.
What are Weekly Learning Roundtables?
Weekly Learning Roundtables provide students with the opportunity to study regularly with dedicated peers enrolled in the same course as they work together to master course content.
During Weekly Learning Roundtable meetings, students work together with each other to answer questions and clarify course concepts. A facilitating subject tutor is present at all Weekly Learning Roundtable meetings to help assist working groups as needed. Through studying collaboratively, students improve their own understanding of course material while helping their peers do the same in a supportive environment.
How do I sign up for a Roundtable?
Weekly Learning Roundtables open for sign-ups 7 days in advance of the present date. Each weekly group is limited to 10 students, and sign-up is on a first-come basis.
To reserve your spot, elect “Schedule an Appointment” to log into our online scheduler. After selecting the “Tutoring Group Schedule” for the current semester, look for “Roundtable [Course Number] with [tutor]” within the next 14 days.
For an online session, see our Guide to Online Appointments for how to access the Zoom meeting for your group. Shortly before your roundtable begins, you will receive an email from one of our clerks with an intake form to be completed before or at the top of the meeting.
Group Appointment Limits
As per our Appointment Policies, group appointments can be scheduled via our online scheduler (WCOnline) up to 7 days in advance with a limit of one appointment per day and two hours of group appointment time per week in fall (three per week in spring).
These limits are independent of the number of individual tutoring appointments a student can schedule, and we encourage students to consider using both. That’s why Tutoring Services maintains separate WCOnline schedules for 1-on-1 and Group Study appointments, and students can easily switch between the one-on-one and group schedules from within our system.
Group Session Cancellation Policy
Note that our Cancellation Policy for Group Sessions is more strict than for individual tutoring sessions, requiring that group cancellations be made at least four hours before the start of the session. Failure to cancel group appointments at least 4 hours in advance is subject to our Missed Appointment Policy.
Don’t see any Weekly Learning Roundtable openings? Join the Waiting List!
Check out our Waiting List feature! To join the waitlist, just click on the “Waiting List” link in the bottom right corner of the day you need an appointment and sign up. You’ll be notified if a cancellation matches your specified parameters. (You must then still log in and reserve the appointment yourself on a first-come basis.)