DOS Stars Spotlight: Makayla Anderson

Posted by on Thursday, February 27, 2020 in News Blurbs.

“Makayla Anderson has been with Dean of Students for just over a year, and in this short time she has become a vital member of our team. While the office was short staffed, Makayla willingly jumped in to help support our students and central office. She took over the DOS check out cards so our students could continue to plan and host events, assisted with the monthly Student Leader Summit dinner for Dean Bandas, and helped with training our new staff to ensure they could provide the best service to our students. Throughout all of this, Makayla streamlined the student travel process to make it easier for students who travel to events away from campus, and continued to provide exceptional support to Posse through re-imagining the graduation and retreat events. Posse celebrated their 30th anniversary this year, and Makayla helped create a memorable homecoming event for students and alumni. Please join us in recognizing Makayla Anderson for her incredible service to our students and colleagues.”

What do you love most about working in Vanderbilt Dean of Students?
The best part of my job is working with the students. Whether working with my Posse Scholars or my Student Organizations, I have great relationships with those I work closely with. I feel very blessed to be a part of their Vanderbilt journey!

What led you to Vanderbilt?
I originally started at Vanderbilt back in 2014 where I accepted a position as an Accounting Assistant in Athletics. I knew that Vanderbilt would be a great learning and growing opportunity. And, let’s be honest, the insurance is really good!

If you could give one piece of advice to a new staff member, what would it be?
Don’t be afraid to grow outside of your comfort zone. Keep striving to be better!

What challenges does your job present you with? What are you still learning?
My students that I work with definitely keep me on my toes. They have all these great ideas and want to know if we can make it happen. My response is, “I don’t know. But we can find out!” With all these great ideas that the students have, it’s a learning curve for both parties on what we can and cannot do. In the end, I feel it helps prep the students for what is acceptable in the business world.

Did you always know that you wanted to work in student affairs?
Growing up I thought I wanted to be a teacher. Mostly because I was enrolled in a private school, from Pre-K until 12th grade, and as a young girl I thought it was pretty cool that the teachers didn’t have to wear uniforms. Ultimately, I knew I wanted to be in a business that was consistently moving and everyday presented something new. Working in student affairs seemed like the perfect fit.

Best way to spend a Saturday? 
I’m all about family. Most Saturday’s are filled with baking, cleaning, and playing with my 3-year-old daughter and husband. Everything I do, I do for them!

After work you can mostly likely be found doing what?
Snuggling up with my daughter and husband while watching a movie together.

My phone camera reel is full of …
My daughter randomly bursting out in a Frozen song 3-year-old version of “Let It Go”.