Scroll down for information about Writing Studio events news and information about our regular ongoing event series.
Major Upcoming Events
- Friday, March 31 – 15th Annual Undergraduate Writing Symposium (Anchor Link page for RSVPs)
- Thursday, April 13 – Undergraduate Creative Writing Symposium being held jointly with the Vanderbilt Undergraduate Arts Showcase
Event News and Announcements
Recent News and Announcements
Overview of Ongoing Event Series at the Writing Studio
Writing Workshop Series and Writing Groups
The Writing Studio is proud to introduce a set of new, online Writing Workshop Series, one series of undergraduate-focused writing workshops and the other graduate-focused writing workshop.
In Fall 2020 we are also excited to offer new weekly writing group options: graduate student writing groups and, for the first time, undergraduate student writing groups.
Dinner and a Draft
Dinner and a Draft is an opportunity for students to hear faculty talk about their writing and writing processes over a delicious dinner.
Undergraduate Writing Symposium
The Undergraduate Writing Symposium is an annual celebration of excellent writing by Vanderbilt undergraduate students.
- Thurs. 4/13 – Undergraduate Creative Writing Symposium and Arts Showcase- Full event schedule and presenter program now available online (posted April 6, 2023)
- Fri. 3/31 – Undergraduate Writing Symposium – Full event schedule and presenter program now available online (posted March 23, 2023)
- Call for Submissions – 15th Annual Undergraduate Writing Symposium – Deadline: January 20 (posted January 3, 2023)
Dissertation Writers’ Retreat series
The Writing Studio’s dissertation writers’ retreats provide dissertating graduate students with time to work individually in a quiet, collegial atmosphere. We couple ample writing time with optional, one-on-one consultations and daily workshops meant to focus writers on their argumentation, chapter structure, and daily writing goals. We hold an annual week-long retreat during the summer and mini-retreats during fall and spring breaks.
On Writing is a series of conversations with faculty and other advanced writers at Vanderbilt about their writing practices. Conversations examine writers’ eccentricities and the ways in which a given writer generates ideas, cultivates a style, and responds to various writing situations. On Writing events are free and open to the public.