Dissertation Writers’ Retreats
The Writing Studio’s dissertation writers’ retreat series provides dissertating graduate students with time to work individually in a quiet, collegial atmosphere. During retreats, we couple ample writing time with optional, one-on-one consultations and daily workshops meant to focus writers on their argumentation, chapter structure, and daily writing goals. We hold an annual week-long retreat during the summer and mini-retreats during fall and spring breaks.
Information about upcoming or recent retreats can be found below.
2023-2024 Dissertation Retreat Schedule
- Fall Break Dissertation Writers Retreat (Two-Day) – October 19-20, 2023 (registration open through Friday, Oct. 6)
- Spring Break Writers Retreat (Two-Day) – March 11-12, 2024
- Summer Dissertation Writers Retreat (Five-Day) – TBA
Registration links to be posted as retreat dates approach!
Fall Break 2023 Dissertation Writers’ Retreat
Sponsored by the Graduate School and the College of Arts and Science Dean’s Office
When: October 19-20, 2023 | 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM each day
Registration required: Complete the Retreat Registration Form by Friday, October 6.
Join us as the Writing Studio hosts a two-day Dissertation Writers’ Retreat over Vanderbilt’s fall break, October 19-20. Our retreats are designed to provide dissertating students with a community of support and opportunities for goal setting and skill building alongside loosely structured time to work individually on writing projects. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
We also welcome participation from graduate and professional students working on master’s theses and other advanced writing projects as well as postdoctoral fellows.
Questions? Please email email@example.com.
Typical Daily Retreat Schedule
- 9:00-9:20 AM – Small Group Check-In with Daily Goal Setting
- 9:20 AM-12:00 PM – Independent Writing Time
- 12:00-1:00 PM – Lunch (provided)
- 1:00-3:50 PM – Independent Writing Time
- 1:00-2:00 PM – Optional Daily Writing Workshop
- 2:00-3:50 PM – Optional One-On-One Writing Consultations
- 3:50-4:00 PM – End-of-Day Small Group Check-In